Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
something really whitty
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a 2000, I had the the tank and all the fairings painted recently so the bike sat naked for about 5 weeks. Now I can get it to start, using the choke, then after I take the choke off, it slowly dies... I just filled up the tank with new fuel... Any experience with similar problems.
Thanks for the input.

·
something really whitty
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long you letting it warm up for? Have you played with the idle screw(What's the correct name)?
The normal warm-up time... I actually drove it down the street to the gas station and back, the only thing I did after it started acting funny was mess with the idle. Other than that nothing.

·
Yutter Ugghher
2,528 Posts
check to see if you got the fuel switch on off? :dunce:

just a suggestion

EDIT: i dont even know if your bike has one, jus sayin...

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
The normal warm-up time... I actually drove it down the street to the gas station and back, the only thing I did after it started acting funny was mess with the idle. Other than that nothing.
Will it stay on if you rev slightly? I'm thinking raising the idle but I'm not really sure sorry...

·
something really whitty
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

just a suggestion

On the 1st gens the fuel switch is under the the tank, You have to actually unbolt the tank to get to it, and yah I have it on, I am pretty good with common sense stuff.

·
Yutter Ugghher
2,528 Posts
On the 1st gens the fuel switch is under the the tank, You have to actually unbolt the tank to get to it, and yah I have it on, I am pretty good with common sense stuff.
i was just sayin... also if you had the tank and fairings off then technically it was accessible correct? not trying to bash you at all, we all make simple mistakes... i have done that plenty of times w/ my 750 shadow where i freak out cuz i know theres gas and after 10 min of :rant i find the fuel off :dunce:

·
something really whitty
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was just sayin... also if you had the tank and fairings off then technically it was accessible correct? not trying to bash you at all, we all make simple mistakes... i have done that plenty of times w/ my 750 shadow where i freak out cuz i know theres gas and after 10 min of :rant i find the fuel off :dunce:
Dont worry man, im not sensitive. Yah well it sat in my garage so no1 but me and my wife has access to it, so no1 messed with it.
Im actually thinking perhaps the fuel line may be pinched.
Yah I actually raised the idle too.
I just had the carbs cleaned also about 3-4 months ago.

·
Hola Amigos!
1,955 Posts
Again, this may be a dumb suggestion due to the fact I have no experience with your year; however, could the fuel filter be clogged?

·
something really whitty
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again, this may be a dumb suggestion due to the fact I have no experience with your year; however, could the fuel filter be clogged?
Not at all, Ill take a look at it, it was running smooth up til I tore it apart, so having a problem running just seems so abnormal to me...

·
something really whitty
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fuel filter perhaps

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts

just a suggestion

+1 if you had the tank off you definitely turned off the fuel peccok at one point

If all else fails clean the carbs.
Totally. If it's been sitting for 5 weeks it's probably the issue. Running on the choke only means the bike isn't getting enough fuel.

Dont worry man, im not sensitive. Yah well it sat in my garage so no1 but me and my wife has access to it, so no1 messed with it.
Im actually thinking perhaps the fuel line may be pinched.
Yah I actually raised the idle too.
I just had the carbs cleaned also about 3-4 months ago.
It'd be pretty hard to pinch it cause of the way it rest under the tank is pretty much wide open

Fuel filter perhaps
Maybe, but the bike needs barely any fuel to idle.

Per my PM, I'd suggest carb cleaning. The fuel turns to goo and breaks down after a couple weeks of sitting, and you said you let it sit for 5 weeks.

·
something really whitty
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got it fixed last night yall thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i kinda have trhe same problem, but i have an invioce from the PO and it says the choke plunger needs to be replaced. anyone know if this is a hard thing to do?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts