Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have 2010 R6, with less 100 miles on it (recently purchased). I have coolant that's from factory, so I don't know if it's water, or coolant, or it even has anti freeze in it. So should I put antifreeze in it for this winter? I am in virginia (charlottesville), and bike will be sitting outside whole time (I live in apartment).

Also what temperature does coolant freeze (again stock coolant). what temperature should I not start the bike (in farenheit).

·
Y(o_o)Y
1,365 Posts
I'd guess that whatever came from the factory will be good enough for you this winter. I have a 05' and rode it through a winter season in Charlottesville and I'm pretty sure it had the factory stuff in it. Held up great and would start no problem even in the morning for classes. But if you are going to leave it parked outside the whole time...idk, maybe someone else on here can chime in.

-Steven

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
Man, I couldn't have a bike parked at an apartment. But about the coolant, they should have put Antifreeze in it. The only thing I'd keep a check on is the battery. The cold does tend to hurt battery's that sit for long periods of time, so make sure you keep her charged when not riding frequently

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
Man, I couldn't have a bike parked at an apartment. But about the coolant, they should have put Antifreeze in it. The only thing I'd keep a check on is the battery. The cold does tend to hurt battery's that sit for long periods of time, so make sure you keep her charged when not riding frequently
If you plan on letting her sit for an extended period of time (30+ days), put a Battery Tender or equivalent on there. You can thank me later, for saving you $$ on a new battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh I practically ride it once every two days, so battery won't matter. I just wanted to know if my coolant or water (i don't know) would freeze. We usually get around 30 degree (f), rarely 20's, most likely not below 20's.

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
No, it won't freeze.

·
Wanderer
774 Posts
Flush the coolant. Easy as pie to do. Just make sure you put the bolt on BEFORE you add new coolant and water.... otherwise your garage gets slippery... It's not fun to clean up.

·
2007 R6
915 Posts
if I had a new bike like that, I would suck it up and be out riding it.... It's cool here too but hasn't stopped the riding for good yet.....
to the original question... I would leave it alone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts