Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted everyone's suggestions on the mountains of prtoective gear they have out there. Lookin for a jacket, but can't really decide whether i should go leather or textile. This jacket would be strictly for the street, no track days. Whichever it is, it needs to be somewhat breathable, although i know leather will be less than textile materials but i can deal with that. Im a fan of JR and that wouldl be nice cause it would match my gloves, but mixing and matching wouldn't be that big of deal, let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Get leather!!!

Textile is ok unless you crash, they sometimes disintegrate leaving you with no protection as you slide across the pavement...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah definately get leather. Ive been lookin to get one as well. I personally like the Alpinestar V-4, Dyno, and TZ-1. Check out Helmetharbor.com They have a nice selection from Alpinestar.

·
Can u c my turn signals?
128 Posts
As someone who has just crashed tested their jacket this last weekend I would have to suggest a leather jacket that has built in body armor. I totaled my bike but I don't have a mark anywhere on my body thanks to my leather jacket. Pay the extra money for the leather now instead of medical bills later. Take my word for it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, i thinkin leather is the way to go, i did like the JR phoenix jacket, but heard a bad story about it on another post. This may seem like a stupid question, but which brands/makes, do the best in keeping you as cool as possible? I know regardless it is leather and goin to be hot, but the cooler i would be the better. I leaning towards an Alpinestar or JR, keep the suggestions coming

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, i thinkin leather is the way to go, i did like the JR phoenix jacket, but heard a bad story about it on another post. This may seem like a stupid question, but which brands/makes, do the best in keeping you as cool as possible? I know regardless it is leather and goin to be hot, but the cooler i would be the better. I leaning towards an Alpinestar or JR, keep the suggestions coming

·
Registered
527 Posts
It depends on how you ride. If you know your going to be wide open get leather. If you going to have some sense and drive normal. I like the new alter-ego jacket by joe rocket. Its a textile with a zip out sleeve to make it a summer jacket. Whatever you decide on make sure you have one. You never know when you will go down.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
I am a true believer of leathers!! I think it is well worth it even though they may cost alot more. But it's better to save your skin than a few extra bucks. And not to mention the pain you have to deal.

I myself had a lowside last year 1 month into learning to ride my R6. And I am glad I got a leather jacket. Yeah Loki-dude, it was the Icon Hero Jacket just like yours, so be proud my good man! They hold up pretty well!
And for this season I finally stepped up into a A-stars TZ-1 2piece suit.
I still ride with just my jacket on regular rides but on weekends, got everything on incldung boots & leather pants. And to be honest, they give you more confidence when you ride. And also I already tested the suit's vent system in a 80-90 degrees temperature when me and Weazel took that twisties ride 2 weeks ago. It was hot to be honest, but the ventilation system is pretty good for the Alpinestar TZ-1, all I recommend is to keep riding and try to avoid stop lights.

Just save up for a nice set of leathers or just a jacket because it is well worth it! And even if you crash, you can still use it.

~Just my penny on the table~ :cheers

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Yeah Loki-dude, it was the Icon Hero Jacket just like yours, so be proud my good man! They hold up pretty well!
good to here i got a good product mikee. what all happened to the jacket when you went down, just curious to hear where the jacket got scraped at.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Yeah Loki-dude, it was the Icon Hero Jacket just like yours, so be proud my good man! They hold up pretty well!
good to here i got a good product mikee. what all happened to the jacket when you went down, just curious to hear where the jacket got scraped at.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
loki1313 said:
Too bad I just sold it to my buddy who is also looking to getting into the motorcycle scene....but I am pissed since he is leaning to get the
'04 GSXR600!! :cuss I told him, that he is going to make the wrong decision! But hey, whatever he likes, and since he works for Suzuki (car-division) and gets a discount.

Anyways, Loki, yeah it held up well since when I went down, it scraped fairly hard and just have scratches on the arm. The armor also helped out too! And I was still able to sell it to my buddy since it is still in good shape!
My only drag about it is the zippers! The ybroke off 3 days when I got them :cuss I'll take a pic of the jacket when I see my friend again.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Mikeeh76 said:
loki1313 said:
Too bad I just sold it to my buddy who is also looking to getting into the motorcycle scene....but I am pissed since he is leaning to get the
'04 GSXR600!! :cuss I told him, that he is going to make the wrong decision! But hey, whatever he likes, and since he works for Suzuki (car-division) and gets a discount.

Anyways, Loki, yeah it held up well since when I went down, it scraped fairly hard and just have scratches on the arm. The armor also helped out too! And I was still able to sell it to my buddy since it is still in good shape!
My only drag about it is the zippers! The ybroke off 3 days when I got them :cuss I'll take a pic of the jacket when I see my friend again.
ya thats a tough decision, discount on a not so good bike or get a good bike for more money. ahh hell id get the R6 still. man i cant beleive the zipper popped off like that after three days, mines still there. lookn forward to seein the pic of the jacket. :cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have both. I bought a Phoenix textile jacket at first since it was a smaller hit to the wallet plus the summers in Oklahoma get super humid hot so it was the better choice at the time. I also have a ICON Hero Leather jacket that I wear during the super dry cold winters in OK. I have heard very good things about the JR textile jackets in get offs. There is more armor in the textile jacket. The seams will not tear and the material will let you slide. There is no way a textile jacket will slide as well as leather but it is a decent affordable second option. Just make sure that you order off the internet. Kneedraggers.com Motoxoutlet.com are a few very good websites I have used repeatedly. Good luck

my $.02

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
loki1313 said:
ya thats a tough decision, discount on a not so good bike or get a good bike for more money. ahh hell id get the R6 still. man i cant beleive the zipper popped off like that after three days, mines still there. lookn forward to seein the pic of the jacket. :cheers
Um for me it is not so tough! I'll pick the R6 any day :cheers
Well I am not sure how much he'll save, I am guessing maybe at the most $1k?? But still, I would rather have a great overall ride which I already told him.
In fact I have two friends who are looking into getting their first bikes!
And one of them at least is smart (getting the R6). But this guy had ridden bikes before but never owned one.

Yeah the damn zipper on the left arm came off, and that little piece that you grab to zip up in the main zipper broke off. I guess you just gotta be gentle with those things. I do now with my A-stars rig. And yeah will get
pics of that jacket when I see him around.
:cheers

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Mikeeh76 said:
loki1313 said:
Um for me it is not so tough! I'll pick the R6 any day :cheers
Well I am not sure how much he'll save, I am guessing maybe at the most $1k?? But still, I would rather have a great overall ride which I already told him.
In fact I have two friends who are looking into getting their first bikes!
And one of them at least is smart (getting the R6). But this guy had ridden bikes before but never owned one.

Yeah the damn zipper on the left arm came off, and that little piece that you grab to zip up in the main zipper broke off. I guess you just gotta be gentle with those things. I do now with my A-stars rig. And yeah will get
pics of that jacket when I see him around.
:cheers
ya it really wouldnt be a hard choice if all i got was 1k off. but if it was more like 2k man it would peak my interest.

·
Registered
95 Posts
How good are the ICON jackets anyway? I heard from a number of people that their gloves fall apart... Do their jackets do the same? I'm thinking about getting the ICON Motorhead jacket..just want to know if its worth it or if i should go with the Alpine TZ-1.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts