Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
My R6 loves b!tc%$
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the GP1 pipe for my 06 R6. I like this pipe, looks good, sounds good and an awesome price...however my buddy who has been riding for years is convinced that this pipe isn't a good idea and that its going to result in me burning up a valve due to the loss in back pressure. Anyone care to chime in on that. Thanks!

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
it's just a slip-on..you will be fine, you could get yourself a pciii to smooth things out

·
My R6 loves b!tc%$
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea but i dont wanna buy a power commander. i already have 2 turbo cars to tune i dont wanna have to get my bike tuned too. i just want a slip on that doesnt require extra this, extra that and that wont **** up my bike but at the same time will make it louder than a stock pipe

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
No slip on is really going to get you louder than stock...the cat under there is what muffles the sound more than anything...

If its sound you want, youll need to delete the cat, (full system/mid pipe) and get a fuel controller of some sort, then tune it...

Some of the more recent controllers allow you to auto tune it though (bazzaz/PC5) so it makes the tuning process much easier...

Also, running just a slip on isnt going to burn a valve or anything...fyi

·
Formerly Stealth Raven
3,951 Posts
tell youre buddy he's an idiot

youre doing nothing but removing the 2nd muffler..that big box under your bike is the main muffler which will maintain the back pressure. the slip on doesnt even change the sound too much..just makes it a tad bit louder..slip ons are mainly aesthetic items.

·
My R6 loves b!tc%$
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i see what you guys are saying so let me get this straight theres a header, mid pipe with cat, and a stock resonated muffler straight from the factory?

a slip on will be ok if i just want a lil more sound from stock but if i really wanna be heard i need to cut the cat out by getting a midpipe (however then im going to need to get it tuned) ? can you get it tuned without buying a power commander just curious?

·
Formerly Stealth Raven
3,951 Posts
some y-pipes dont need to have a power commander..unless youre some hardcore racer and really mashing on the motor, you can get a y pipe through me and it has a o2 bung welded into it. Alot of people dont give the stock computer enough credit..it manages its self very well with the y-pipes (mid pipe) let me know if youre interested

·
My R6 loves b!tc%$
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im interested but do i have to put a muffler on top of the y pipe(midpipe) or do i just run header to y pipe and thats it. and your saying this will make it much louder than with just a slip on and wouldnt need a power commander?

·
Formerly Stealth Raven
3,951 Posts
yes you would have to buy a baffled slip on or put on the stock pipe...the y pipes are made to exit at the exact same spot as the stock system..so any slip on will fit as well as the stock muffler.

·
My R6 loves b!tc%$
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is good info man thanks. so if i did say your mid pipe or a fmf powercore mid pipe with a jardine gp1 slip on with stock header it would be good? no power commander needed?

·
Formerly Stealth Raven
3,951 Posts
yes you would have to buy a baffled slip on or put on the stock pipe...the y pipes are made to exit at the exact same spot as the stock system..so any slip on will fit as well as the stock muffler.
you need a slipon that will provide back pressure ..the jardine is just a straight pipe. and i guaruntee the y-pipe id sell you is better then the FMF and T-tuner mid pipes.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121973

read the posts from satisfied customers..bunch of other threads on it as well..

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
this is good info man thanks. so if i did say your mid pipe or a fmf powercore mid pipe with a jardine gp1 slip on with stock header it would be good? no power commander needed?
what road rash said:)... that and mid-pipe with gp1 is stupidly loud, had a buddy have that setup and if you value your hearing/ motor just get the y-pipe with a baffled slip-on, plus its plenty loud that way too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts