·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Main website has been updated with dates and prices (co-STT dates are listed also).

www.disalvospeedacademy.com

Rumor is there is a new website being developed, so stay tuned :)

I am already signed up for the first event at Talladega the last weekend in March, hope to see some of you there.

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All kidding aside, and this is no "sponsor plug", it made an immediate, drastic difference in my riding.

Talladega is a short track (I think it is 1.6 miles) and I had done at least 10 full weekends there and never went faster than a 1:02.9. After doing the DiSalvo Speed Academy, I was running low 1:01's.

At a short track like that, knocking 2-3 tenths off of an already Expert pace is hard to do. They knocked 2 full seconds off my lap times. But the thing was, it didnt feel like i was going any faster. The drills they taught actually increased my room for error and reduced my lean angle, so i went faster, while riding easier...if that makes any sense.

I have taken 3 different schools (one of which costs twice as much as the Speed Academy) and the JDSA is the only one that i can HONESTLY say made a drastic, immediate impact in my riding.

No long drawn out explainations that require a physics degree, no arguing about what actually happens when a motorcycle turns, no discussing or trying to disprove various theories. Just real-world drills and working on real-world skills that are immediately applicable to your riding.

I am already signed up for the school at the end of March at Talladega and can't wait!

·
Registered
52 Posts
He'll be at some northern tracks this year, but i'm gonna wait till it warms up here. Nothing like doing a school in 38 degree weather ;-) but you guys in the south don't get that :D :D :D

so, yeah, i plan on doing it, probably at grattan, probably when summer comes around.

www.trackdaymag.com has written a few articles about the school, so i'm quite familiar with the approach. i loved STAR school. Hopefully i'll love JDSA!

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on being at Grattan also, so I will see you there. :) You will have to show me the good line, I have never been there and I SUCK at learning new tracks.

Actually, we do get some cold days down here because the season starts so early. I have raced when it was 35-40deg..............and it sucked.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No, problem!
Grattan is by far the most technical track i've ever been to. It's got 13 turns (i think it's 13) and 11 of them are blind. It's been recently repaved (still some issues) but it's scary. I've seen people cry at Grattan. I swear!! :D

Just as a reference, i've been to Gingerman, Road America, Blackhawk Farms, Putnam park, Jennings, Barber, Autobahn north, south, and full, Topeka, Mid Ohio and probably some others that i can't think of.

·
FedEx Man
4,991 Posts
I was hoping Jason would bring it closer to his hometown. I live about 10 mins away from his house, (side note: you should see his dad's christmas light display lol) like mid ohio or NJMP. But the more I'm reading it looks like his academy is geared towards making racers faster, and not so much for beginners.

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jason moved and lives close to Birmingham now.

Actually, the school isn't geared towards making racers faster. When I took it last year, there were only 2 racers in the class.

I wouldnt just start out riding and take it. In other words, I wouldnt buy a bike, take the MSF, get your M-endorsement and sign up for the Speed Academy :D.

But if you have a few track days/weekends under your belt, you can take it and would benefit greatly from it.

When i was there, i would say that 80% of the riders in the class rode in the Intermediate track day group.

·
FedEx Man
4,991 Posts
Jason moved and lives close to Birmingham now.

Actually, the school isn't geared towards making racers faster. When I took it last year, there were only 2 racers in the class.

I wouldnt just start out riding and take it. In other words, I wouldnt buy a bike, take the MSF, get your M-endorsement and sign up for the Speed Academy :D.

But if you have a few track days/weekends under your belt, you can take it and would benefit greatly from it.

When i was there, i would say that 80% of the riders in the class rode in the Intermediate track day group.
Oh ya I'm a big fan of Jason. Being a hometown guy and everything. I actually dated his cousin or 2nd cousin in high school. They weren't very close though. But that is good to know because I know my buddy and I were really looking into it. I'm glad to hear it's not all geared toward racers. Definitely something I'm going to looking to later in the season. :fact

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its great and no doubt it will be benificial, however i cannot imagine spending 1200$ on a trackday. Maybe if lawson came out the weeds to teach me. Best of luck to those who go and when you come back let me know how to grow a money tree. :rolleyes:

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is MUCH more than a track day, I can assure you of that.

If you think about it, you could do several weekends, all year...spending thousands of dollars...and not get any faster. Or you can take a school and learn skills that immediately impact your riding and increase your room for error.

BTW - If you have priced other 2-day schools or Camps (im not going to sit here and name them all), the JDSA is about half (if not less) than the rest of them.

Im just sayin' :D

·
FedEx Man
4,991 Posts

If you think about it, you could do several weekends, all year...spending thousands of dollars...and not get any faster. Or you can take a school and learn skills that immediately impact your riding and increase your room for error.

BTW - If you have priced other 2-day schools or Camps (im not going to sit here and name them all), the JDSA is about half (if not less) than the rest of them.

Im just sayin' :D
:fact

·
Registered
49 Posts

Im just sayin'
Yeah im not going to get into a pissing contest or anything. I am speaking from my perspective, ie wallet.

I ride with STT and have for 4 years. I have gotten faster, started at mid novice pace and now am a low-mid expert pace. I attended the pro school last year at Road America, and it was great, one on one. My coach even sat with me in the pits and watched video, hell even helped me change my tires. That day thinking back, was around 400$... All i am saying is, its called Jason Disalvo school, but unless his attention and advice is going to be solely directed at me ( like STT pro school was) i couldnt drop 3x the pro-school price on one day, in hopes i recieve that needed critique to drop a few 10ths.

also
Sponsors: SportBike Track Gear - DiSalvo Speed Academy - Bell helmets - KNOX

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had no idea we were getting into a pissing contest, I thought we were having a discussion. :confused:

FWIW, you DO get that 1-on-1 instruction you speak of. You do drills ON the track. I mean one at a time actually stopping on the track, and getting instruction.

You get 2 video sessions each day and then those video sessions are reviewed, corner by corner.

Plus you get "free ride" track time where you are evaluated and notes taken, then they go over what they saw from each student.

You also get a suspension seminar from Ohlins and they check your sag and setup your bike accordingly.

I had attended Tally 10 seperate weekends and never went faster than a 1:02.9. After 2 days of working with Jason and Brian, I was comfortable running low 1:01's, while using less effort and less lean angle (I am sure I would have improved more, but my suspension linkage broke and ended my weekend early.

They knocked almost 2 seconds...off of what was already an Expert pace.

If you do not want to take the school, that is your decision. But do not label it as "just a track day". That is doing it a serious injustice.

And FYI...all of the comments I am making were made long before I was sponsored by the school. I came out of the school cheesing my ass off while battling for top 2-5 spots in the highly competitive 600cc SB class...when just 2 months earlier I was struggling to stay in the top 8-10 at the same track. The school made a drastic difference in my riding, immediately. Not many schools can say that.

But ultimately, it is your money and your decision. But I can assure you, it is more than "just a track day". ;)

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
How much of a skill set does one need before doing a school like this? I feel like it's mostly for people looking to shave 2 or 3 seconds, not beginners like myself.
I noticed they have dates at barber witch is only 2 hours from me.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Yeah im not going to get into a pissing contest or anything. I am speaking from my perspective, ie wallet.

I ride with STT and have for 4 years. I have gotten faster, started at mid novice pace and now am a low-mid expert pace. I attended the pro school last year at Road America, and it was great, one on one. My coach even sat with me in the pits and watched video, hell even helped me change my tires. That day thinking back, was around 400$... All i am saying is, its called Jason Disalvo school, but unless his attention and advice is going to be solely directed at me ( like STT pro school was) i couldnt drop 3x the pro-school price on one day, in hopes i recieve that needed critique to drop a few 10ths.

also
fwiw 2 days at this school is only like 600. thats not much for all the skill that would be learned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts