Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, So i just got my 2006 r6 back from the shop after about two weeks... from a gas leak.. the tank was rusted at the bottom and the seal deteriorated.. so the shop cleaned it and what not.. turns out the rust was soo fine that it ended up wrecking my feul pump so i got a new one. anyways 1400$ later.
On the drive home from the shop today I noticed that it the bike would STUTTER /Jerk at steady speeds. kinda like rev up and rev down. Just wondering what you guys think this could be? ill give it a few days before i go back to the shop if it doesnt go away. is it just the shitty gas they put in? or waht could it be.

Thanks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Take it back now!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I jerk it all the time while driving. I don't see what the problem is?

Could be lots of things. Since you had enough rust in the tank to smoke the fuel pump, I'd be worried that stuff made it through and gunked up the injectors. Could be plugs, coils, TPS, who knows what though.

How'd you get enough rust in the tank to destroy a seal in the first place?

$1400 to clean the tank out and replace the pump sounds completely crazy. You could have bought a used tank, with pump for way less than that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Friend had the same issue with his carbureted ninja 500. The bike sat for 4 years prior to his issues. He found rust throughout the gas tank. He had the same symptoms as you. He found bits of rust stick in the bowl screens before the carbs. He would clean it out and it would run great for a bit , then stutter again. He ended up removing the gas tank and using some special tank cleaner and it removed all the rust that was hanging on in the tank.

He showed me pictures of the inside of the tank before and after, and wow did it make. Difference.

In your case I'd be worried that the injectors are clogged.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If I spent $1400 to get it fixed and had problems immediately following you better believe they'd be fixing it without charging me anymore. I don't take my bike to mechanics because I have trust issues and I am cheap! You've already crossed that bridge and they need to make it right!

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
just for shits and giggles, how old is your chain? check it for tight spots. bad chains can feel like engine problems.
hopefully the old pump's filter was able to capture all of the rust. but if not you're going to have to replace the injectors at least.
or send them to melk man. he owns a injector cleaner company. www.proflowtech.com or you could send them off to factory pro and get flow matched injectors at a discount by sending them yours. http://www.factorypro.com/ but so you know they do not actually do anything to the injectors but clean them and match them in sets with others that flow at the same rate. but you're getting a clean injector in new condition that all flow almost identical for hundreds less than a new set costs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts