Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened yesterday on my way back from my wife's hometown, its about 180km, on last 30km the bike just died.
I was on low speed due to traffic, and everything died, nothing showed on the dash, it just died with no electric at all.
Got the bike to the road side, and wait for 10 minutes, turn the ignition key and the dash came on with my favorite racers' number, 46 shown on it, without any sound from the fuel pump.
Open my phone library that have the service manual in it, and it said no electric coming to FI, something like that.
Checked all the fuse in the fuse box under the left handlebar, all good.
Checked two fuse under the front seat and all good.
It leaves me with one suspect, BATTERY.
Took off the battery and took it to the nearest bike workshop and their battery checker showed that the battery on have 82% power.
Found the problem.
They charged the battery until it showed 91% and let me try to start the bike, the bike started OK, Rossi's number was missing.
Ran the bike as fast as I can to get home. Later on I check the rectifier, it's plugs' melted, some wire showed it's inner. No wonder the battery was low on power since it wasn't charged properly.
Going to workshop tomorrow morning to get the plug sorted and then test the rectifier and stator if they worked as supposed to. Hope the rectifier still working fine after the plug got burned.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Phew...
Just got the bike from workshop with the rectifier's plug replaced.
Rectifier still do a great job charging the battery, tested until 5000rpm and never exceeds 13.8V.
Confirmed that the rectifier is in a OK condition, the battery holds charge for a couple of days in the workshop.
The one cable that is roasted is a white cable from the stator.

Hope this will help others that have the same problem as this one.
Cheers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, this morning I took the R6 to the office and it died again with the same error code 46, battery low on power 11,9V
Bought a new battery on a nearby shop and checked the charging and it only reached 13.0v at 4k-5k rpm, lower than it supposed to be.
Called storing car to get the bike to the workshop(again).
The mechanic check the charging is 14v! He said he will check when the engine gets warm.
He called back and said the rectifier doesn't charge the battery when warm.
Breaks my heart since it's not cheap here in Indonesia to get parts, break my wallet of course hahahah

Anyone has done a rectifier replacement with other yamahas? maybe R25? Since R25s are manufactured here and easy to get the parts(which means cheaper).
Or if anyone replaced the rectifier with a newer r6 rectifier? Is it compatible with the newer version?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend have gen 3 rectifier, but it have 6 pin at the plug, 05 have 5 pin.
What cable goes what pin?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'd want to eliminate the possibility of the stator being an issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd want to eliminate the possibility of the stator being an issue.
Stator checked, all okay.

Can i use 06-12 rectifier by modifying my rectifier plug?
05 rect have 5 pins while my friend's 08 have 6 pins.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'd assume that wiring burnt simply because the contacts corroded. However if you have modifications that create significant electrical load, that my have also contributed to the issue.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the six pin?

This is our five pin...

#2 is the A.C. Magento.
#3 is the rectifier.

Looks like three white wires represent three of the five pins. Presumably these are input from the A/C Magneto.
Red is 12v Positive output from regulator, black of course is ground.

You require something that meets these specifications. Too little and it may overload the regulator. Too much and there's a potential to overload the wiring... provided there's enough draw on it to exceed the OEM spec 35 Amps. As long as it's stock, you should be okay with a regulator that is capable of a little more amperage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the spec from 06 service manual :

Wirings from 06 service manual :

06 capacity is 22A while the one post is 35A, good or bad news?

One more thing, from the diagram i see one pin not being used, why they called it 6 wire while only 5 being used?

Is my 06 service manual wrong?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Interesting. The connector is capable of supporting six; perhaps an assumption/oversight/misprint. The diagrams/specs I posted are from the 2008 R6S manual. (very similar to 2005 R6) So they increased amperage by a whopping 38% between the two years. As long as the connectors didn't get bigger, and the wiring gauge didn't change, you should be okay going as high as 35A. Besides wire gauge, wire run length is also a factor. A connector kit like this, will have what you need. Amazon.com: 380 Pcs 2.8mm 2 3 4 6 Pin Automotive Electrical Wire Connector Male Female Cable Terminal Plug Kits for Motorcycle Bike Car: Home Improvement

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plan is using 2006-20012 rect which has lower capacity(22A) for a 2005(35A).
Will it be okay for daily use?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Electronics can do some absolutely whacky and unpredictable things when short on power. I wouldn't bet your life on going 38% below stock.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,058 Posts
30A min if it was 35A stock. Any full-wave (bridge) solid state rectifier will work in the Amp and 200Volt AC rating. The wires may need 1/4 female blade connectors instead of the yamaha plug and mounting could be custom. Make sure the back side is attached to metal for sinking heat away. Diodes generate heat in operation. If you need to splice an non oem unit in, the wiring is simple.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow... Thanks for the info.

I made progress by identifying the 05 rect model/manufacture code is SH713AA, that is the same code as yamaha R25 here in Indonesia. Have the same rect plug, same 5 cables, same cable position.
Should i go with it? Considering the same manufacture code,is it the same thing?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,058 Posts
It could be from a different manufacturer but identical.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been riding 120km with busy to clear traffic variations, and no sign of battery not being charge, no stutter at all, battery checked 13.1V ignition off.
Sounds everything is back normal.
Maybe my assumption of using the same manufacture number is correct, because every motorcycle factory doesnt manufacture their own rectifier, they bought it from other electronic factory and label it with their own part no.

Going to update this thread next week just to be sure that everything is all okay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts