Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 06 R6 today & it started right up at the guys house and I rode it around the block with no issues. It was also checked over by a very reputable mechanic and he said it was mechanically sound. I noticed the guy had a hard time starting it when we were loading it into my truck but it eventually started up, I didn't think anything of it. A few minutes ago I decided to see if it was hard to start and I can't get it to run, it doesn't help that the battery is almost dead either.

I called the owner and he told me it's probably bad gas but he had put fuel stabilizer in it, this makes sense as the bike has been sitting for a while ..but the bike will crank over, hit, and then die immediately. Does that sound like a fuel issue? Any help is appreciated.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
:stupic Get a multimeter and check.

When you try to start it you hear a clicking sound that means it's the battery. Otherwise check the spark plugs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You talking the clicking sound a dead battery makes Mike? It's not quite there yet, I'm probably just going to replace the battery anyway. He said he charged it before I came but it's already about dead so a new one wouldn't hurt. He also said it's never been on a trickle charger.

Surely it can't be a major issue, bike did great earlier for the short ride and at the mechanics shop. Thanks

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
You talking the clicking sound a dead battery makes Mike? It's not quite there yet, I'm probably just going to replace the battery anyway. He said he charged it before I came but it's already about dead so a new one wouldn't hurt. He also said it's never been on a trickle charger.

Surely it can't be a major issue, bike did great earlier for the short ride and at the mechanics shop. Thanks
Yeah I'm talking about that sound. Worst case scenario is your stator is bad and isn't charging the battery. I would go about replacing the battery anyways just to have a piece of mind. If he recharged the battery before you came over then it started up, it probably only had one good start-up before it went bad.

Could always bring the battery to an Autozone or so to get tested. If you go with a battery charger get a battery tender jr. it's one of the best and you can always find it on sale.

So is it okay now?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay now? I haven't messed with it anymore, I'll have the battery checked at autozone tomorrow and pick up one of those battery tenders if it's still good. Appreciate the help, I'll let yall know how it goes.

·
Schrute Farms Beets
757 Posts
I'd slap it on a tender, which is what you plan on anyway, so I think you're all set!

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Thought it was a one time thing and now it's ok. But hopefully it isn't anything serious. You can also have autozone charge the battery etc.

·
her name is Megan Fox
2,583 Posts
sounds like the battery is just doesnt have enough power to start and keep the bike running. +1 on buying a tender.

·
Spend ALL the monies!
1,853 Posts
that doesn't sound like a tank of bad/old gas to me.

have your battery/stator checked!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts