Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it took me most of the winter, but I'm FINALLY finished rebuilding the 99 R6 that has been darkening my garage for the past year. I bought it for $500 after it was laid down...HARD. Since I had to replace all the body work, I went with the black and yellow anniversary paint scheme. Also made my own dual exhaust out of 2 R1 cans that I cut down. Also made my own rear seat cowl by recovering the seat with fiberglass mat and building up coats of resin, came out pretty good for $10 it cost me to make it...

Before....

After...

·
Registered
324 Posts
DAM! nice work I love the colors! I like the dual exhaust too!

·
Registered
143 Posts
the paint is nice but you ruined it with those pipes .it makes no sense and looks terrible .
please remove ,,or you can just wait for your first corner and the pavement will gladly rip them off.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
I love the paint man, that bike looks sick. I'm not the biggest fan of the exhaust but whatever you like!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
the paint looks good, but I'm not feeling the exhaust.

·
Registered
102 Posts
sick nasty bro. dont listen to these kids, keep the pipes, gives it some flava FLAV

·
Just A Spray Away
288 Posts
Absolutely awesome work man! But I do have to agree with the majority of the other guys about the exhaust. IMO, it really takes alot away from the whole feel of the bike. When I first read I was thinking like the new R1's with dual cans under the tail. I would try and go for something like that instead, or go with a Racefit Growler. And another smart thing to do would be to get some FRAME SLIDERS, cause it would be a shame to have something stupid happen and it not be somewhat protected, especially after doing all that work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
sick nasty bro. dont listen to these kids, keep the pipes, gives it some flava FLAV

yea like taking a dump in a steak and lobster dinner type of added flava .

its ridiculous.So much potential in that bike and those pipes take all that away .

·
Garage Queen R6
719 Posts
Too bad, looks like you had to cut the lowers to make room for the exhausts. In reality, those exhausts might cause you to crash. One day, you're gonna have to make a quick last second turn and the bike wont lean enough cause the cans block it. You may think its a cool idea, but its potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
205 Posts
While I guess I can applaud your originality, unless you just ride around in a parking lot, that exhaust is going to make you crash.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong......I am NOT a big man.....

Well, it seems as if everybody hates the cans, myself included. They were basically a low cost work around to a major problem....

When the previous owner dumped it, he somehow had the silencer catch on something and it twisted it right off and bent the header pipe. After a few minutes of "wtf am I gonna do with this mess?", and a few beers. I thought a dual exhaust would look cool. Had the R1 cans laying around. Grabbed the torches and the welder and went to work. Now that everything is together, I like the way it sounds (with the newly installed homemade baffles), but I have to agree, it looks VERY squidy. What I think pushed it over the edge was the black & yellow. Looks too cartoony for my taste

Total money invested in the exhaust $0, and it's probably worth about as much :dunce:

Looks like it's back to the drawing board with it....

Hmm, maybe a single can under the bike a la Buell..... hmmm....

I'll be sure to post up whatever is I do, now it's off to the lab again....

·
Registered
603 Posts
I like the paint and some of the bits on the bike . nice job
IMO Lose one side of that exhaust , remount one can on the factory side but position it low almost under the foot peg and angled up slightly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong......I am NOT a big man.....

Well, it seems as if everybody hates the cans, myself included. They were basically a low cost work around to a major problem....

When the previous owner dumped it, he somehow had the silencer catch on something and it twisted it right off and bent the header pipe. After a few minutes of "wtf am I gonna do with this mess?", and a few beers. I thought a dual exhaust would look cool. Had the R1 cans laying around. Grabbed the torches and the welder and went to work. Now that everything is together, I like the way it sounds (with the newly installed homemade baffles), but I have to agree, it looks VERY squidy. What I think pushed it over the edge was the black & yellow. Looks too cartoony for my taste

Total money invested in the exhaust $0, and it's probably worth about as much :dunce:

Looks like it's back to the drawing board with it....

Hmm, maybe a single can under the bike a la Buell..... hmmm....

I'll be sure to post up whatever is I do, now it's off to the lab again....

very rare ,and i give you big props for saying that >i think the bike overall is nice ,just those cans :sing,lol
but moving on from that ,it didn't cost you any money so your already ahead of the game .Find a nice small can off ebay or something for silly cheap and run it under the bike like you've stated or just behind the peg like someone mentioned . :toocool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
very rare ,and i give you big props for saying that >i think the bike overall is nice ,just those cans :sing,lol
but moving on from that ,it didn't cost you any money so your already ahead of the game .Find a nice small can off ebay or something for silly cheap and run it under the bike like you've stated or just behind the peg like someone mentioned . :toocool:
Well, I have done some pretty crazy stuff over the years, like the 7hp snowblower motor I shoved in a KX80 (pic below). Sometimes you make something cool, and sometimes you land on your face!!

I do have another R1 can laying around, along with the stock silencer off my YZ400F. The issue I have is that I cut the stock header where it goes 4 into 2. There was a nasty kink right where 2 went into 1 from the previous owners accident. So, I'll have to drop the header off and cut off my mistake (uhhh customization) and make a collector to back to 1 silencer. Shouldn't be too bad....

What? No props on my homemade rear seat cowl!?!?! (gimmie something to feel good about)

The KX....7HP.....

·
Born 2 Ride YAMAHA
788 Posts
Yeah man I love the bike but those can's are dangerous as hell. Where did you get the plastic's from? Ebay? And how do they fit? Good luck with changing the exhaust

Roberts

1 - 20 of 29 Posts