Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I sold my first bike 2 months ago, which is also an R6. 2000 R6, with Rossi Replica Fairing. Was very sad for 2 months while my buddies are out there riding.

Finally picked up my new R6 over the weekend and the first ride home was AMAZING!!! Probably cuz I went from a carb to Fuel Injection and of course all the other good stuffs.

This bike is so different from any bikes I have ever ridden, it is so powerful yet agile. I got a lot to learn from this bike :)

So I was told to break in for first 600 miles then change my oil. How the hell am i suppose to ride this in local for 600 miles? How did you guys do it? a buddy of mine break in his bike in 1 week!!

At 6k and below rpm, i can only go 60mph max

·
B4B
6,864 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion on how to break in an engine. I know tons of people who break engines in on track days. Just flat out run the shit out of em. I hear the main rule of thumb is not to sit in one rpm range for too long otherwise this could hinder engine output in the long run. If the seals set at too low of a speed and rpm you could have a weaker engine. This is all hear say but I'm sure someone will come in here and school me.

·
I'D RATHER BE RIDING
502 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I didn't stay under 6k for the first 600. I just rode and didn't really beat on her until after. I think I maybe kept it under 11k until the first service, which was ok because I was just getting to know her. Nothing saying you have to stay local though. A couple 100 milers and back and forth to work, friends or where ever you normally go and 600 comes pretty quick. Enjoy, the R6 is a great bike!!!!!!!!:YEA

·
Back from the Sand box!
584 Posts
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

On the Street:
Warm the engine up completely:
Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want
anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more
and run it through the gears !

Be Safe On The Street !
Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.

·
The dude abides.
129 Posts
well you can go to 8k rpm for the first 600 miles which is about 84mph then 10k between 600 and 1000 miles.... So don't worry about that. I put 220 miles on my bike the first weekend, so that break in comes pretty fast...

·
4.27sec 40yrd Dash
696 Posts
Don't baby that hot B!tch! Make her whine, make her cry :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an 09 R6 and I broke her in sort of like the mototune method that was posted. My bike has over 10k on it and she doesn't smoke or burn a drop of oil. If you baby the bike it will always be a baby. Don't lug it and don't cruise at constant speeds. Lots of engine breaking and load the engine BUT DONT LUG IT.

·
Oorah!
1,140 Posts
I have an 09 R6 and I broke her in sort of like the mototune method that was posted. My bike has over 10k on it and she doesn't smoke or burn a drop of oil. If you baby the bike it will always be a baby. Don't lug it and don't cruise at constant speeds. Lots of engine breaking and load the engine BUT DONT LUG IT.
Wow 10k on an 09?! I barely have 11k on my 07!!! lol

The way I broke mine in was simple..found the closest emptiest highway..and let'er rip...make that bitch YOURS!

·
Registered
41 Posts

The way I broke mine in was simple..found the closest emptiest highway..and let'er rip...make that bitch YOURS!
Yea and four months she wasn't even on the road lol. My R6 used to be my car...I have ridden that bitch in the snow...no joke....and after seeing all the corrosion from one winter that won't be happening again. I'm picking up a beater bike tomorrow for winter. I did my 600 miles in the first two days when I bought her.

·
4.27sec 40yrd Dash
696 Posts

+100...lol

I got my bike with 600 miles in june. Now it has 12,100 miles... :)

·
I eat my R6
36 Posts
i kept mine under 12k for the first 800 kms or so...but still gave her the berries everynow and then.. Just go for it and vary everything...but dont flog the piss out of her everywhere...

·
My staff is a good one
100 Posts
My manual specifically states 8300RPM for the first 600mi, then to 1000mi under 9300RPM(+/-). So I have been under 8k for most of mine and it makes it really easy to stay within range on my city streets.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
I'm not even gonna get into the whole breaking in thing, but post some pics of ur new ride when u can. If you havent looked into it yet, Graves are doing a price match with Leo full systems and slip-ons. Full SS system for $700 is a great deal, u should jump on it if you can, and tell Shane Ram sent ya :lmao

·
Back from the Sand box!
584 Posts
^^ +1 on that, Shane will hook you up!

·
09 r6 team blue
850 Posts
how many miles would one have to put on a bike for it to be considered broke in.. im at maybe 15-1600 on mine now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts