Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm coming back from class this morning pull in my driveway and hop off the bike. I just happen to glance over and see this :cuss

***** me so now my question is where to get a replacement? I'm pretty satisfied with these tires but if there is anything better for around the same price I'd be interested. So where do you guys your tires? Thanks

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
its a blessing in disguise, go get yourself some good rubber... you'll never regret it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I go with anonther brand should i change the back one too?..

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
The brands don't have to match, although it is better to match them for optimum performance. When I bought my bike I replaced the rear with a Metzeler and had Dunlop on the front for a good 6 months before I matched them up with M3's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah i had that happen to me at 1700 miles it's so gay, luckly i had free roadside tires so i got a free factory tire but as far as tire brands go two of my friends are both ordering Michelin Pilot Power, their supposed to have great traction wet or dry and not wear as fast as the ones that usually come from factory

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
the geometry and heigth of an aftermarket tire is different, therefor if you run a taller one on front it will throw of the geometry of the bike... you dont HAVE to change them both but you will love it if you do, that and it will perform much better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
yeah i had that happen to me at 1700 miles it's so gay, luckly i had free roadside tires so i got a free factory tire but as far as tire brands go two of my friends are both ordering Michelin Pilot Power, their supposed to have great traction wet or dry and not wear as fast as the ones that usually come from factory
They are softer and provide better traction which means they will wear FASTER than the factory Dunlops. :fact

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the input...I would like to get something that performs good, but not something that I'll have to replace a 2 or 3k miles from now. how long do some of the better performing tires last

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
It happens bro. Try some pilot powers or I have the pirelli corsa IIIs which I love. If you get the Pilot Power 2cts dont bother getting the 2ct front the soft compound on the front tire is too small to ever use it so its not worth the extra money you pay. Both tires should last about 5k.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
They are softer and provide better traction which means they will wear FASTER than the factory Dunlops. :fact

My Diablos have better traction.... And have lasted almost twice as long as the original Qualifiers. Not sure about the Michelins but mine have a harder center, with a softer edge for better grip.

·
Registered
622 Posts
don't know where you are from, but if there is a Cycle Gear, i would recommend getting your tires there, because you can get their "Motoguard" tire warranty which covers your tire replacement if you get a nail or any puncture up to 25% of tire wear, and anything pass 25% of wear, you get prorated for your new tire. i work there, and see many guys benefitting from the warrant; including me. i have a nail in mine right now too; i need to switch the tire out when i go back to work this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a screw in mine the other day as well and took it to a local bike shop and they patched my tire from the inside.. good as new. only cost 20 bucks

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a screw in mine the other day as well and took it to a local bike shop and they patched my tire from the inside.. good as new. only cost 20 bucks
I heard that was pretty risky.. I going stock for now theres a couple other things I wanna do the girl and my very limited budget is forcing me to prioritize..thanks for all the help tho guys

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
i would hate knowing that my life was on the line at 160mph with a patch in the inside of a tire. thats bad news as far as i am concerned...

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
The PP wear about the same as the qualifiers IMHO. Also the 2CT's grip better and wear slower, got the dual compound rubber bro. got 2g's on my 2CT's now and they are blowing my old metzler m3's out of the water. i love them and aside from cycle gear, that warranty is kick ass, you should look at indysuperbikes.com they got great deals on tires all the time.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks 03 raven they are bout 5 bucks cheaper than tire express

·
Registered
148 Posts
I heard that was pretty risky.. I going stock for now theres a couple other things I wanna do the girl and my very limited budget is forcing me to prioritize..thanks for all the help tho guys
Nice chicken stripes! :)

Sucks man I feel for you happen to me right after I got a new tire. But lucklily I bought the tire from cycle gear with all the extra protection stuff. They just gave me a new tire, cause the nail was in the tread line.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts