Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I am completely new to this forum, and completely new to sportbike riding however I am not new to racing.

I come from a motocross background, and for the past 3 years I have been racing supermoto a great deal. I figured this is the time to try something new, so me and two other supermoto buddies split a 2003 R6 for $1200 bucks, and now we're ready to hit the big tracks!

Let me know any advice you guys have, any tips on technique, set-up, do's and don'ts.... I am so excited for this! I am planning to do my first track day in January.

Here's a short little videos of me at the supermoto track, just so you guys can get to know me a little more. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to joining this new community!

- I'm the one on the blue yamaha (wr250x)

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
:wave

That's pretty sweet when you're all backin it into that turn. I'm a bit jelous. I'm sure you'll pickup the bigger bike in no time at all. I hope you and your buddy are close in weight, cause suspension setup is by far the most important thing.

Check the suspension setup 101 thread on how to setup sag and all that shit. It makes ALL the difference bro. :fact

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Welcome!

Like Chief said, get the suspension setup first. Probably needs fork oil changed as well. Depending on how much you weigh, you may want to go to thicker oil.

If it's still got a 120/60 tire on the front, go to a 120/70, and lower the front end to compensate for the taller tire.

Then go out there and give her a beating and see how she feels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahah awesome, thanks everyone!

I am the skinniest of the 3, but I already began a weight-gain diet, so hopefully that will work out (as of now I'm weighing in at 140lbs - 65kg).

So in terms of tire sizes, a 120/70 is what you guys recommend for the front? And how about the rear? Since this is gonna be a track-only bike, we're wanting to put some slicks on it right away, any personal recommendations on tire brands as well? What are you guys running?

Thanks for the welcome! I haven't actually picked up the bike from the junk-yard yet, but I should be doing that either tomorrow or Friday, then pictures!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ps- You think that backing-in in that video is cool, one day at that track Nicky and Tommy Hayden, Josh Hayes and Melissa Paris were all riding together. If you saw what those guys do, it's just plain out incomprehensible! Josh and Melissa where riding supermotos, Nicky and Tommy were riding these 450 supersingles with road-racing bodies... Unbelievable!

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Keep off the slicks until you're used to sport bikes.. It's one thing to have good tires on it, but you don't wanna learn how to get used to the "wiggle" of tires before it happens on a slick :)eek5)

EDIT: and have some thick skin and you'll learn to love this place. We joke around a lot, but we're always willing to help out someone that has RESPECT.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
ps- You think that backing-in in that video is cool, one day at that track Nicky and Tommy Hayden, Josh Hayes and Melissa Paris were all riding together. If you saw what those guys do, it's just plain out incomprehensible! Josh and Melissa where riding supermotos, Nicky and Tommy were riding these 450 supersingles with road-racing bodies... Unbelievable!
Those miniGP bikes are SO sick!!! :nocontrol:

If you want slicks, go with the pirelli superbike pro's. They are the track day slick and will last a long time. I ran em for a good portion of this season till the time came for the DOT's

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,451 Posts
:wave

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
fify

The only time I don't use the clutch on my '03 as an on/off switch is starting off from a standstill.
:laugh Get goin a bit faster and you'll find plenty of spots where you need to rev match AND feather that clutch out simultaneously. :fact You'd be surprised man. Even with a slipper clutch, i need to feather it here and there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice. Yea, my 250 motard doesn't have a slipper so I've learned to feather it with precision! One of the things I'm looking forward to is the road-racing racing lines, which differ a lot from supermoto. With supermotos you basically brake hard and slide the bike to get a good angle on the turn entry. It's a lot of fun, but the tighter turns never really make you feel some lateral Gs. I've heard that you need some strong neck muscles to keep your head up through a fast sweeper, and if that's true I guarantee I'm gonna have such a big smile while doing so...

Hey Fallis, you're from Los Angeles? I'm actually living in Northridge, I've been in the Los Angeles area for like 5 years...

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
03 as a track bike ONLY is a GREAT choice partner. Easy to work on, easy to setup, easy to ride.

My 04 has become my track bish. It's a great bike to do so with. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the bike, and don't be afraid to shoot me a PM for ANYTHING pertaining to the 2nd Gen bikes bud.

Congrats and welcome.

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
welcome bud, i have the same bike (03) fully tracked out and just finished up my first season racing. lots of little things make all the difference. if you have any questions dont be afraid to send a pm whether its set up or mod related. lol and make sure to get yourself a small jig and some good carbide bits. saftey wire holes take some time and patience to drill and personally they give you a bit more confidence (at least for me) and i also jumped to a 190 rear and love it. so if you jump up your front tire do the same on the rear to get all of the trig right for your suspension geometry!

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
Since this is gonna be a track-only bike, we're wanting to put some slicks on it right away, any personal recommendations on tire brands as well? What are you guys running
It depends on the track, but you might want to stay away from slicks to start.

You'll need tire warmers to get them up to operating temperature, and you may have trouble holding heat in them until you can get upto fast inter/slow advanced pace.

I've got a set of BT-003RS tires on my bike. So far i've gotten great tire wear and they are sticky as FAWK with warmers. They're a street/track tire, so they hold heat longer, which is important at the slower/more technical tracks.

Also you don't need warmers with them, if you give them a few laps to get upto temp. I just like the consistency, knowing my tires are always ready to go from lap 1.

I'm building up my '05 (2nd gen like yours) as time and money allows. Check out my build thread if you need some ideas, and feel free to message me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts