Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dude at the dealer told me NOT to replace to stock air filter w/a K&N. He says the bike will run to lean!

Is this a true statement :?:

Im ridding a 02R6!

·
Registered
995 Posts
yes, with the Carb' R6 your better off with the standard filter

·
Registered
995 Posts
oliver, have you had it Dynojetted?

·
Registered
304 Posts
no, i have not. but i do know that i did not suffer any negative effects....no loss of power etc. I do think that i have better throttle control. also, i did switch back and forth between between the two and still like the K&N. but i do have full akra exhaust and jetted carbs with the K&N. i think that the combo is a good fit. to add to this my bike starts easier with the K&N than it did with out it.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
on an otherwise stock bike, the k&N is not what you want.

If you have a lot of other mods and can afford to have someone with a dyno that knows what they are doing tune your carbs, then yes it may squeeze that extra half horsepower or so out of your bike

for the most part, a nice clean stock filter is fine

·
Registered
304 Posts
i dont know exactly what dyno jetting is. if you are asking me if my bike is jetted, then yes. when i bought the bike it already had the full exhaust and the carbs were jetted then i added the K&N after i purchased the bike and had maybe 1500 miles of mine own on there. now i have 4500 miles on still like the K&N......i dont know what else to tell ya

·
Registered
995 Posts
soz mate, over here we say dynojett like you say jetted.

·
Registered
304 Posts
sure thing bravo, cultural barriers are easily overcome. i have some friends from overseas that think it is really funny when our professor says he like girls full of spunk....spunk meaning attitude and personality. from what i understand that same phrase takes on a whole new meaning. :hammer

·
Registered
995 Posts
Thats CLASS, i'v never heard that saying before :hammer .....I like girls full of my Spunk :hump :hump

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an 02 R6, it was running really rich before I put the K&N filter on it. Now it's still rich but not as much. Plus I am getting better throttle response. So what you guys are saying that if I want any improvement from the K&N I need to put a jet kit on it? Becuase I AM going to get a jet kit for it soon anyways so I can get it tuned the best.

Speeking of jet kits, what's a good one for my bike and where can I purchase one at?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ivan's jet kits are the only way to go when buying a kit.

Get ahold of Brian, "hammythecanman" i believe he sells the kits. If not, just do a search on the net a place is bound to pop up.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Around here, dynojetted (dyno'd) means put on a dynojet machine to check your horsepower.

Jetted means simply having your jets changed to accomodate more airflow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts