Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here know what is the actual K & N air filter part number for a '03 R6? i just got my order in from kneedraggers.com. i have part number YA-6099. tonight i got bored and opened the box and read the instructions and noticed it states this is for '99-'00 R6. i checked the k&n website and it states i need part number YA-6001. i hope someone knows the answer because if it is wrong i need to make some calls back to kneedraggers.com.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I'd go with what the K&N site says. Call knee draggers and tell them the discrepency you found and they should correct it.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
that's a trip, i was doing a search on certain parts and just remembered stoneloco's post about the K&N so i tried to order one by adding to the cart. I specified for the 03 model and it gave me the same part # YA-6099!! which i believe is for 00-02 models!! :cuss

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
They could use the same filter. But for some reason i thought they had changed/redesigned the 03 filter.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i called the guys at kneedraggers.com back about my situation last week, i spoke to a guy named Butters. he told me he was going to call K&N and find out what part number is correct. K&N told kneedraggers.com/Butters the same story. part # YA-6099 has been discontinued and is replaced with YA-6001. so with that settled, kneedraggers.com/Butters sent me the new filter, YA-6001. they also sent the sticker for UPS 2nd day air to return the obsolete filter. i didnt pay a thing.

Mahalo(thank you) to Butters and the guys at kneedraggers.com for excellent customer service.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Wow, didn't know a guy with a name like "BUTTERS" be able to help out :twisted: ...but i am glad you were able to resolve your miscue with your filter, stoneloco :mrgreen:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've heard the stock filter is better than the K&N. Anyone have any airflow figures to compare the two.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i dont have any figures but i can tell you that i put one in my bike and it totally screwed it up. the power curve went to shit. i would be full throttle and it would go, then act like i just totally took my hand off the gas then go again all of the way through the rpms. since i put a new stock one in it has been perfect.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Cral42 said:
I've heard the stock filter is better than the K&N. Anyone have any airflow figures to compare the two.
supposedly on the carb bikes the stock is better but for the FI, the aftermarket filters work well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It has been proven on almost every bike that the stock filter is always the best. The only time it has been adventageous is when the airbox capacity has been increased to provide for a heavily modified motor. The only reason that I would see using a K&N filter would be so that you can clean it and reuse it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts