Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
D33PU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the yamaha dealer and they recomended I get the K & N filter. It wont fit. Like the size is all good except when i put the cover of the air box on its open by like 3mm's. Does yours directly fit no problems? I went back to the dealership they said its the one for my bike. So I though maybe I will use an exacto knife and modify it to fit.??? Which one do you perfer nd Y?

04 R6

Thank you

:dunce:

·
D33PU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna try maybe using longer screws. If that doesnt work then try to trim down the rubber that fits into the grooves with an exacto knife. Hopefully it does the trick

·
D33PU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i have found a solution..I'm trying to find same size bolts but just longer. That should fix it. But I dont know where to get the same thread pattern.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
a lot of people seem to have trouble getting their k & n to fit. i've heard the BMCs don't have the same problem if u can still return the other one. also, make sure the stock filter frame is out. i've come across so threads where ppl didn't realize it's 2 parts. juuuuust checkin'.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
yeah, most people have the same problem with their KN...most common fix is trimming it to fit

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
a lot of people seem to have trouble getting their k & n to fit. i've heard the BMCs don't have the same problem if u can still return the other one. also, make sure the stock filter frame is out. i've come across so threads where ppl didn't realize it's 2 parts. juuuuust checkin'.
:werd

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
K&N is a great company, I'M sure they didn't make the filter where you have to trim it. call K&N and see what is going on with your filter.

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
...says the guy with the perfect fitting, factory GYT-R filter. :lmao

Hum, I'M wondering if I should include that in my sig?:confused:

·
D33PU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I trimmed the top part of it and used a vice grip to help and I've got it in. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i tried to get a k&n to fit on my 07 and the bolts didn't line up at all. i just replaced it with another stock

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
When replacing the stock filter there are 2 parts you must remove. The filter itself, and the frame it sits on. 2 PIECES!!!

Then the aftermaket filters fit perfectly, no trimming, no modification, no longer bolts....if that stuff was needed, I bet it would be included ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
^^^^You are correct partly. Once you remove the filter you have to remove the rubber seal that is seated in the bottom groove of the airbox

1 - 16 of 16 Posts