Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
It's about 3k miles old. So it failed right when I was about to change my oil, but I wish it would've waited a week lol.

I would contact k&n. Lucky you it failed while the bike wasn't being use. It could've gotten ugly really fast you if were riding on the street ever worst at canyons or track. I would at least bring it to their attention so they can check on whats going on and improve on it. Maybe a bad batch of filters

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It probably did fail while in use, it just slowly leaked out probably a quart or so over night. I only had maybe 1.75 quarts left in the bike judging from the weight in the oil drip pan. I was running her fairly hard for bout an hour wednesday evening. But I'll contact them, see whats up.

·
nova r6
3,262 Posts
Most race orgs are starting to make racers use the oem filters because of this issue. K/N recently switched manufacturers to a chinese company and the metal/spot welds are not as good as years prior. Do you use the nut to install the filter also? If so, that probably weakened that area and slowly started to fail under pressure. Another company to look at for oil filters is Hiflo, they also make a "race" filter with the same nut on top but they are made in thailand where the k/n were previously made

·
~Faster Than Lightning~
1,009 Posts
Most race orgs are starting to make racers use the oem filters because of this issue. K/N recently switched manufacturers to a chinese company and the metal/spot welds are not as good as years prior. Do you use the nut to install the filter also? If so, that probably weakened that area and slowly started to fail under pressure. Another company to look at for oil filters is Hiflo, they also make a "race" filter with the same nut on top but they are made in thailand where the k/n were previously made

I just switch to K&N filter...i've always rocked OEM until i heard such good things about the K&N ones and now this thread lol. Incredible! Now I gotta keep an eye for any spotting.

·
nova r6
3,262 Posts
I just switch to K&N filter...i've always rocked OEM until i heard such good things about the K&N ones and now this thread lol. Incredible! Now I gotta keep an eye for any spotting.
Yea the main thing is when ppl install and torque the filter with that nut, and on some bikes (like the R6) with recessed areas for the filter its hard to tighten without using it. We still use the Hiflo RC filters without any issues so far (knock on wood LOL)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just FYI, this is a 'known' issue over on the VFR forums. A # of folks have had the K&N oil filters fail, even while on the road. I have one on my VFR with over 3K miles, but I never use the nut to tighten the filter, only to loosen and toss. I don't safety wire to the nut either. I have moved to HiFlo filters ...

ACE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.