Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which one is better?? which one will be harder to PCIII map? someone just make up my mind for me before i :comp
:cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,156 Posts
I like the BMC Race better. Just better made. the plastic is softer and more pliable so its less prone to cracking and seals better when the airbox is tightened. I have the race filter on my bike and used a map developed with an "aftermarket filter" and other mods that i have and it runs fine. plus, the sound from the intake when on the gas is fantastic. just sounds like a giant suckin vortex. kinda like brianna banks but my bike doesn't have a face full of cock!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
I have heard a zillion arguements either way.
its 6 of one 1/2 dozen of another kinda thing.
The K&N are a bit cheaper.

I have not noticed a flaw in the build quality either.

to each their own
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
penfold said:
I like the BMC Race better. Just better made. the plastic is softer and more pliable so its less prone to cracking and seals better when the airbox is tightened. I have the race filter on my bike and used a map developed with an "aftermarket filter" and other mods that i have and it runs fine. plus, the sound from the intake when on the gas is fantastic. just sounds like a giant suckin vortex. kinda like brianna banks but my bike doesn't have a face full of cock!
awesome. i agree that porn can be related to our everyday experiences :cheers
:flame
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
wat bout itg? I don't know if they make filters for bikes...but on my bimmer it's alot better than K&N
 

·
flyin' hawaiian
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
Sausage said:
wat bout itg? I don't know if they make filters for bikes...but on my bimmer it's alot better than K&N
never heard of itg. just go for the bmc race air filter. many people dyno tested the bmc race, k&n, and stock air filters. the bmc race filter got the best results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
i just tested mine on the dyno and the guy said the stock r6 filter will produce the best power. on the dyno they may seem better , but when ur on the highway with the ram air affect , there is too much air coming in and the air starts tumbling ,....

ask z31maniac , he tested both stock / K&N,..

hey z31maniac ,... did u get that e-mail out to K&N ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,552 Posts
Yeah I e-mailed K&N and they were like, "We have never heard of this before did you cut out the portion that said remove."

SO basically F#ck K&N and once I go for the next round of mods I will buy a BMC race filter and slide stop kit and hopefully a full exhaust.

But don't know when that will be. With v-stacks and BF high mount, and custom mapped PCIII, I'm making 103 HP. Getting ready to the 520 conversion, -1,+2, so I don't think I'll need much more.

I can already keep up with liter bikes to 125.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
do slide stops give u more HP ....

what EXACTLY are they and what do they do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,552 Posts
phantom menace said:
do slide stops give u more HP ....

what EXACTLY are they and what do they do
A little. They take slide of the throttle body and hold it in the fully open position. It removes a physical obstruction from the intake and they also supply you with a program to up the fuel pressure.

It's also supposed to improve throttle response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,156 Posts
z31maniac said:
phantom menace said:
do slide stops give u more HP ....

what EXACTLY are they and what do they do
A little. They take slide of the throttle body and hold it in the fully open position. It removes a physical obstruction from the intake and they also supply you with a program to up the fuel pressure.

It's also supposed to improve throttle response.
it actually comes with a little button looking fuel pressure booster than installs inside the fuel pressure regulator. its the little grey thing next to the disc.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
phantom menace said:
on the dyno they may seem better , but when ur on the highway with the ram air affect , there is too much air coming in and the air starts tumbling ,....

watched a cool special on speed channel...said true ram air doesn't take effect until near 170 mph...thats crazy. but anyways, i would check bmc filters...saw a chart from them where certain bikes actually lost some HP....weird
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,552 Posts
suekie said:
phantom menace said:
on the dyno they may seem better , but when ur on the highway with the ram air affect , there is too much air coming in and the air starts tumbling ,....

watched a cool special on speed channel...said true ram air doesn't take effect until near 170 mph...thats crazy. but anyways, i would check bmc filters...saw a chart from them where certain bikes actually lost some HP....weird
I have heard this about a couple of filters now. We need these claims to be backed up by an A/F ratio output too.

It's very likely that these filters are flowing so much MORE air and losing power because the motor is leaned out. Once I get some more money I'm going to have them test the bike with the K&N just to make sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
phantom menace said:
I have heard this about a couple of filters now. We need these claims to be backed up by an A/F ratio output too.

It's very likely that these filters are flowing so much MORE air and losing power because the motor is leaned out. Once I get some more money I'm going to have them test the bike with the K&N just to make sure.
In that case, i'm sure if you dyno your bike, you should be able to see exactly what speed/rpm that the bike leans out. Don't know how good the people are that are gonna dyno your bike, but with a few adjustments to your power commander map (assuming you have one) should solve the a/f problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,552 Posts
suekie said:
phantom menace said:
I have heard this about a couple of filters now. We need these claims to be backed up by an A/F ratio output too.

It's very likely that these filters are flowing so much MORE air and losing power because the motor is leaned out. Once I get some more money I'm going to have them test the bike with the K&N just to make sure.
In that case, i'm sure if you dyno your bike, you should be able to see exactly what speed/rpm that the bike leans out. Don't know how good the people are that are gonna dyno your bike, but with a few adjustments to your power commander map (assuming you have one) should solve the a/f problem.
Yeah they are good. But I had heard so many people talk shit on K&N filters, that when I had a FI problem the other day I had them take out the K&N before they built a custom map.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
yamaha technolegy is always improving .. there filters among other things have improved ...

nowadays these bikes come from the factory pretty much done .

the filters filter out dirt too so more air there will be more dirt,
i'd rather have a motor thats going to run strong over a longer period of time , than have dits of dirt/sand grinding in my pistons !!!

race filters are for racing , were they rebuild the motor after every race !!!

i say stick with ur stock filters they offer great filteration and performance !!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Phantom Menace . . .
I liked your post man, i completely agree. I don't think an aftermarket air filter would even really make that much of a difference for the "everyday rider".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
thanx creeper and suekie,....

ya , i'v talked to alot of racers up her and they say for maybe 1 hp ,..
it's not worth it ,...


if u want real performance then talk to creeper about about v-stacks and a PC III ,... wih all that performance power i'v gained ,. they tell me that i'll have a cooler runing motor and better gas mlg,.. u can't go wrong !!!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top