Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw some guys on 6's stop their bikes in street pivot on kickstand and back it up onto curb. thought it was the most AWESOMEST thing ever. but then again i was lit. :twisted: next day i tried it on my bike. i don't feel like i'm doing it right. correction. i have no idea what i'm doing. I WANNA BE COOL LIKE THEM! :gas

teaaaaaaach me

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
- put your foot behind the kickstand so it doesn't fold up.
- grab your handlebars, pull the bike towards you.
- when the tires are off the ground, weight the back a little bit so the front tire doesn't drag.
- swing it.
- set it down

·
IQ = Post Count
1,731 Posts
deltaonex said:
- put your foot behind the kickstand so it doesn't fold up.
- grab your handlebars, pull the bike towards you.
- when the tires are off the ground, weight the back a little bit so the front tire doesn't drag.
- swing it.
- set it down
If he actually SEEN it being done and doesn't know how to do it, then I don't think a "HOW-TO" will help him. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
159 Posts
You are on the side of the bike when you do it. It is so that you can turn the direction of the bike easily, like do a 180. However I def do not recommend doing this b/c I did it a few times to show off and little did I know that it bent my kickstand slightly and it ended up hitting my shifter while riding, so I have not done it since. later

·
Registered
613 Posts
I do that all the time, it's easier than trying to walk the bike bakwards out of parking stalls. While standing beside the bike, turn the handlebars towards you, left hand on the left clip on, right hand under the right side of the seat, and your right foot just behind the kick stand. It looks cool and is easy to do, just don't get cocky and drop her in front of on lookers :poke

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ahh, engineering at work. I had a look at how the kickstand was mounted, and it looked like the weakest part of the setup was just above the base of the stand. (est dia 0.5") According to Yamahas website, the dry wieght of the bike is 375lb. Using the formula S=F/A (stress = force/ area) Only 1.9ksi of pressure is exerted. Even a low grade cast iron (assuming no defects) can withstand appx. 40ksi of direct pressure. So theoreticaly your kickstand can withstand the wieght of the bike; however, bending still may occure of the bike is not held directly above the vertical of the kickstand. I hope this has helped or possibly reasured non believers and i hold no responsibilities for any damage(s) that may occure.

Sorry, little type-o there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
04areSix said:
(est dia 0.5") According to Yamahas website, the dry wieght of the bike is 375lb. Using the formula F=P/A (force = pressure/ area) Only 1.9ksi of pressure is exerted. Even a low grade cast iron (assuming no defects) can withstand appx. 40ksi of direct pressure.
geezus you're smart. :bow

deltaonex said:
although on new tarmac stuff, i've ripped holes into the ground with my kickstand :poke
they layed new road in front of my house b/c they did some cable work and the new "tarmac" is weak. i kick my stand down get off bike and i've already sunk in an inch into the ground.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
dude i saw it done totally different. The bike wasn't completely on the stand. He had it turning tot he left...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Being "vertically challenged", I used to ALWAYS do this with my bikes. It it never bent the stand on my GPz-1100, it isn't going to do it on a tiny bike like the R6.

I actually would step right ON the kickstand to keep it planted in place. Then pull the bike towards me and spin it around.

Takes a couple times to get a feel for it, but it is pretty intuitive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do it as little as possible!

I do it ONLY if I absolutely have to after knowing that it's not the stand that breaks, it's the part of the frame that breaks. And there's NO REAPIRING it. This has happened to more than one motorcycle.

Plus I have the crazy feeling that the kickstand will break in half and it will stab me, with the weight of my falling R6, right into the top of my foot. OUCH!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.