Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a set of vortex lowering links for my 04 r6, I plan on dropping it 1"
I'm curious, before I get started on this over the weekend, will I need to cut my kickstand, or get an adjustable one? Or is stock kickstand ok to use with the 1" drop?

Thanks guys

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
A stock kickstand will have it pretty much straight up and down. You should either get an adjustable one (bank) or cut off the foot, remove some of the kickstand, and reattach the foot. if you go with the second method, CUT A LITTLE AT A TIME AND CHECK IT!!!!!!! You dont want to take off too much:fact

·
Registered
269 Posts
Your definitely going to need to cut it. If you don't your bike will be straight up and down which isn't the best thing because it can fall over on the other side. When I had my bike lowered I got my kickstand cut. So ya, your gonna need a shorter one. I would definitely keep it stock height unless your dealing with height issues/dragging or whatever.

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea those adjustable ones are almost $200..f that.
Only issue is that I don't weld so I'd need to take it somewhere to get done.

And I'm lowering 1" because I'd like to flat foot my bike. And I like the look of it lowered slightly ie 1"

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I wouldnt lower it for that reason, I would man up and learn how to ride it correctly.

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldnt lower it for that reason, I would man up and learn how to ride it correctly.
wouldnt lower it for what reason?..that i like the way it looks better?..that id like to put my feet on the ground?:popcorn:

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
wouldnt lower it for what reason?..that i like the way it looks better?..that id like to put my feet on the ground?:popcorn:
Neither of those reasons is a good one IMO, but its your bike, do what you want. I suggest buying an extra kickstand off ebay so you can go back if you want to.

·
Registered
269 Posts
^Agreed, doesn't seem like you have much of a reason too lower it, trust me when I tell you that you will raise it back to stock length soon after you lower the bike. I wanted to be completely flat footed and lowered my bike when I first got it and about 3 months later, put it back to stock length. Honestly just get use to the bike and you will not worry so much about being completely flat footed. But, the R6 does look like sex with a drop.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
all this flat footed talk....shit I only put one foot down and the bike leans a little bit that way, so I am flat footed. The other foot remains on the rear brake. this helps on steep hills and such, at least if you are used to it....its a lot easier to manage an uphill start with the rear brake holding you than the front, as you are able to freely work the throttle without having to hold the brake as well. Also, if you get bumped from the rear, it keeps you from rolling forward and hitting someone else.

Dont believe me, try riding your bike in San Francisco up some of those hills, especially if there is some water on the road....:laugh

·
Registered
7 Posts
i done exactly the same to my o8 plate didnt have to touch stand it just sits up a little straighter no chance of it falling over ...trust me mines been like it 3 months no PROBS

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
i done exactly the same to my o8 plate didnt have to touch stand it just sits up a little straighter no chance of it falling over ...trust me mines been like it 3 months no PROBS
^^^^ wrong. Yamaha engineers the kickstand angle for a reason and I am not sure you have the engineering and design background to disagree with them. One good puff of wind and you are picking you bike up and loving the new broken mirror and scratched plastic look. But hey, do what you want, its your shit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
yeah u will need to buy a shorty kickstand or chop yours and reweld if ur going to lower the bike. i bought the bike lowered and raised it back up and it leans like crazy. If you have a bike stand or rack to hold it up, i'll swap kickstands with you. i need a regular stock one and this shorty one was good for the bike when it was lowered 3" in back and one in front. I have 05. i would need urs first cause i dont have a rack so once i get it i can have the wifey hold it up til i swap.

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i do have stands but im only doing a 1" drop..sounds like your stand will be too short..and why would someone lower it 3" in back and 1" in the front..seems lie it would look and perform rediculous

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea, the way it leans stock i cant imagine it being too straight up with only a 1" drop..
once i install the links ill go from there
thanks!!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I think you'll be surprised at how much difference an inch makes.:D

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you'll be surprised at how much difference an inch makes.:D
well i would assume 1" would equal.....1"...therefore the bike should stand up 1" more vertical...

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
I tippie toe my bike at stops. Who cares? I'm pretty stable like that. The only time it's mildy annoying is when you wanna back it up without getting off (which is almost never). Flat footing is nice when you're a noob, but then you realize it's not really needed.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
well i would assume 1" would equal.....1"...therefore the bike should stand up 1" more vertical...
you assume wrong which is why I said cut A LITTLE at a time. But what do I know, I havent lowered any bikes and dont know anyone with a lowered bike....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts