Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
not sure if this is the correct term but I call it a "kickstand u-turn"

Kickstand U-Turn: standing on the left side of the bike; reach over with your right hand, grab onto the frame, gently pull the bike's weight completely onto the kickstand, then spinning the bike 180 degrees.

For noobs like me that don't know what I'm talking about, here are 3 links to youtube video demonstrations:

Video 1 - smooth and basic
Video 2 - instructional
Video 3 - crazy dude

Hello all. Another noob question here. I have seen a few bikers do a "kickstand u-turn" in a parking spot and thought it looked pretty cool. I didn't really care to try it out until today. I came into a parking spot that was on a bit of declined pavement. Since I am kinda short, it was too much of an incline to get back out doing the tippy-toe backup method. Instead of looking like a dork having to get off my bike and pull it back, I did one of those "kickstand u-turns" and heard someone watching say, "wow, that was sweet".

Is this something that is very harmful to my bike? I was too worried about my ego when I decided to whip my bike around. Now I'm wondering if it is a bad idea to do again. Is the stand ok to support the weight of the bike? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Slammed and Stretched!!!
772 Posts
I do it when it situations like you were in. A few other friends do it all the time. I have seen the kickstands flew while doing it so I dont know how safe it is.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
I gotta be honest, I've seen a few people do it and every time it makes me scowl -- sad to watch a bike manhandled like that at 0 mph. Doubt that it'll damage anything though, but me personally, I'd rather look like a dork and get to ride my bike unscathed than drop it for a little U-turn looking like a bigger dork trying not to look like a dork.

Just don't drop it ... I guess time and good ears will tell if you should avoid it.

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
Used to do these all the time on my RR. After getting an R6 I noticed that the kickstand isn't as sturdy as the RR. I will not be doing any kick stand turns on the R6. Don't want to risk breaking it in half. T

·
Registered
43 Posts
on the old Yamaha bikes i wouldn't do it. I have a 07 R6 and i done it over a 100 times. But i FI frame sliders so i don't worry about dropping my bike

·
RU R6
1,206 Posts
I've done it once and other times I'll slightly tilt it and spin the wheel as I'm lubing the chain...I need to buy stands. I wouldn't do it out off pure laziness or habit. I guess if you do alot you should have a spare kickstand just in case it snaps.

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Someone on here was doing it and the stand broke and the bike fell on his leg and broke his ankle....
Thats the worst case Iv heard of so good luck to you

·
RU R6
1,206 Posts
How in the world could he allow the bike to fall on top of him...hard enough to break his leg and ankle? I just can't picture it. I have had my bike fall a couple of times. Once the kick stand fell through the drain grate at the car wash and other times when I lost my footing on gravel. Both of those times it was one of those slooooow struggle to hold it up once it passed the center of gravity, but it was slow enough that I got out from under it.

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
I only do it when I NEED to. I dont think it wuill hurt anything but it will hurt if I drop the bike!

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
It's perfectly safe to turn a motorcycle on its side stand.

The dealers even do it on brand new bikes out of the crate.

They even do it in front of customers when servicing there bikes, now if it wasn't safe, do you think they would do that in front of a customer?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
that little thing flexes just with the bike leaning on it let alone the whole bike weight i tried it once but i thought it was just easier to roll it around why take the chance that somethign will happen

·
Registered
65 Posts
umm...it's perfectly fine. nothing at ALL to worry about. If you wanna do it, like I said..it's fine. As yamahauler said...it's absolutely safe. Takes some practice to get it down just right otherwise you'll look retarded trying. It WILL NOT break..but the end will start to wear down from the gravel, but that's after doing it time and time and time....and time again...

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
It's perfectly safe to turn a motorcycle on its side stand.

The dealers even do it on brand new bikes out of the crate.

They even do it in front of customers when servicing there bikes, now if it wasn't safe, do you think they would do that in front of a customer?
Yes cause they think it's cool. I've seen dealers do some stupid sh*t to push the "I'm an expert" line.

·
MY MV EATS MY R6
10,744 Posts
i used to do it all the time with my r1 i guess its fine with the r6 just maybe dont over do it. i dont do it on my mv because the stand seems kind of flimsy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts