Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here is my situation. I'm installing straight pipe exhaust... but... then, I am going all out with a turbo and I am a certified Technician in the Automotive field.
Now, I plan to keep my O2 sensor but I have to question the EX-UP servo. At first my thought was to custom fabricate the EX-UP servo into the system just to keep everything proper... and... I also know that a turbo is designed for forced induction and it applies a great deal of horse power. But, if I'm not mistaken... a part of its design consist of exhaust back pressure. Many little things here and there are needed in order for the turbo to work at maximum efficiency.
This bike means the world to me and the last thing I want to do... is upgrade on her for something bigger and faster when I know she is capable of the impossible...........
I'm not a somebody who can afford to make any mistakes. If I blow her heart up... she can not be replaced.
What do I do? Where do I go with this? If your thought is to just give up... You're talking to the wrong person. I AM... AND WILL accomplish this. But, I want everything perfect. No DTC's.... and no mistakes. I have damn near half a life-time to get it done. So therefore I am in no rush. I am very inclined when it comes to engineering. So, if I have to sit and do all the math to figure this out... that's fine. But, I can't afford the degree in such a subject.
So, I guess what I'm asking... what route do I take? Even if you point me in the direction where all seems well and DTC's are present. It's okay. I have all the time to solve it... I just don't have too much time to get the ball rolling. I mean... do I play it safe? And just pull it from the system and go from there? Or do I attempt to fabricate it into its proper place? And how does a turbo respond to exhaust back pressure?
PLEASE!?! If this one boggles you? I would still love to hear from you and what your opinion is. But don't pretend you know your s**** and lead me to failure as I would never do to you. I love it when a customer approaches me with an issue that just boggles me. It takes a lot of pride to admit that this one got you. I know in the end... it's all gonna come down to the math on my part.... and that's cool... but, what do you think? I would truly love to hear from any of you.

Thank You so much for your time in reading my post,
Tommy 2

·
Just lean harder...
888 Posts
Do you even Turbo Bro?

Seriously, it sounds like you work at a dealership and probly haven't done any real fabrication.

You need to do alot more research on turbo charging. There are even online calculators to help you do the "math" on compressor cfm airflow rates or whatever you need.

Anyways, the more back pressure, the slower the turbo will spool up. Just get rid of the ex-up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are absolutely right? Don't you think if I was in that department? That I would be here with an absolutely idiotic question as that? I appreciate the help.

Badt poe!

·
^^Slow guy on fast bike^^
86 Posts
OK, I'll bite. Your factory O2 sensor will be useless, as will the EXUP system. So will the factory calibration of the ECU. You'll be changing ignition maps anyway, so just remove the EXUP from the ECU when you're in there doing the tune.

Since you don't seem willing to tear the engine down and do a custom build, what kind of power are you expecting? Buying a literbike does actually seem like the logical course of action, it's just not a fun project.

P.S. You'll shoot your eye out, kid. Ho, ho, ho.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Reading your post sounds like you know very little about turbocharging. The whole purpose of the EXUP is to create a restriction so there is some back pressure at lower rpms. And it's tuned for flow rates with the OEM exhaust. So the tuning and benefit of that system goes out the window when you do something drastic like add a turbo. The turbo itself is a restriction, so right off the bat you've got too much restriction if both are there. Then, you need to consider that the turbine is driven solely by the pressure difference between it's input and output sides. The EXUP valve (even when open) reduces that differential.

I'm not a somebody who can afford to make any mistakes. If I blow her heart up... she can not be replaced.
If that is really the case, then you're not in a position to be experimenting. Find a complete kit or a knowledgeable shop who has done this before and call it a day. Getting the tuning right is critical to not blowing up your engine, and a turbo complicates things MUCH more because throttle position and rpm are no longer sufficient to determine the appropriate amount of fueling. You're going to spend a ton of time (and therefore money) to get the tuning right, or you're going to blow up your motor. And you still might end up doing both. I say that through the experiences a good friend of mine (who started his own shop) that has done this with several highly modified turbocharged cars. He has had a lot of success, and blown up a bunch of engines along the way.

I think your best bet is to find a drag racing forum where there's people with boosted ZX14s and Hayabusas and learn about how those have been setup.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Reading your post sounds like you know very little about turbocharging. The whole purpose of the EXUP is to create a restriction so there is some back pressure at lower rpms. And it's tuned for flow rates with the OEM exhaust. So the tuning and benefit of that system goes out the window when you do something drastic like add a turbo. The turbo itself is a restriction, so right off the bat you've got too much restriction if both are there. Then, you need to consider that the turbine is driven solely by the pressure difference between it's input and output sides. The EXUP valve (even when open) reduces that differential.

If that is really the case, then you're not in a position to be experimenting. Find a complete kit or a knowledgeable shop who has done this before and call it a day. Getting the tuning right is critical to not blowing up your engine, and a turbo complicates things MUCH more because throttle position and rpm are no longer sufficient to determine the appropriate amount of fueling. You're going to spend a ton of time (and therefore money) to get the tuning right, or you're going to blow up your motor. And you still might end up doing both. I say that through the experiences a good friend of mine (who started his own shop) that has done this with several highly modified turbocharged cars. He has had a lot of success, and blown up a bunch of engines along the way.

I think your best bet is to find a drag racing forum where there's people with boosted ZX14s and Hayabusas and learn about how those have been setup.

From my experience with the drag busas we have seen out here, not a single one of them is dropping the coin on a turbo kit and the requisite tuning without working over the bottom end and back cutting/cryo hardening the trans gears. For the money, and results you might get with the safe (read minimal) boost levels, you would be better off porting the head and getting the bike tuned. Or getting a liter bike.

For reference, I have spent a LOT on reliable big bore zx6r that makes a gangload of NA hp, and we talked about a turbo with a few guys we know that run them and a few builders and its just not worth the headache for a daily driven bike. Too many variables, too much money, not enough result. It makes sense on a full custom busa, because those guys are pushing unbelievable hp levels, up to 600 and beyond. Another one of the issues with turbos is heat management. They often end up getting packaged right near the oil pump, radiator, oil pan, etc in front of the engine. At best it heat soaks the engine and you lose hp through heat management. At worst, it gets hot enough to melt shit that you need.

The moral of the story is that its not worth it to turbo a bike you can't afford to blow up, and the returns on a 600 just arent there. Get a liter bike if you need liter bike power. :fact

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
So, here is my situation. I'm installing straight pipe exhaust... but... then, I am going all out with a turbo and I am a certified Technician in the Automotive field.
Now, I plan to keep my O2 sensor but I have to question the EX-UP servo. At first my thought was to custom fabricate the EX-UP servo into the system just to keep everything proper... and... I also know that a turbo is designed for forced induction and it applies a great deal of horse power.
I made it this far before laughing out loud.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I made it this far before laughing out loud.
I didnt make it that far. I stopped reading after he made it a point to tell us he was a certified asshole. Then I dismissed him like all the people here who point out they have a P.E. or pretend to be doctor's with a PhD. Doctors save lives. :laugh

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
You guys are such fcuking assholes..

Hey dude... PM babymilo36

He has all the knowledge
And a fairly tight balloon knot.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I didnt make it that far. I stopped reading after he made it a point to tell us he was a certified asshole. Then I dismissed him like all the people here who point out they have a P.E. or pretend to be doctor's with a PhD. Doctors save lives. :laugh
Hey man, he probably spent like three whole months on that certification, and has been changing oil at the ford dealer for like 9 months now. He's 100% capable of designing the next Lamborghini, he's just got to do the math.

I am very inclined when it comes to engineering
First thing that came to mind:

Shit, that is just "slightly" inclined, gimmie a sec

1 - 20 of 20 Posts