Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 274 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
i am :confused:. the kit you sell comes with everything needed to make this project? like back plates and shrouds and projectors, or it only comes with the projectors?. are you including instructions, besides this how to?.

BTW: it looks terrific. i like the way you do the wiring. very clean.

nice job :cheers.

·
"Krypton"
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
i am :confused:. the kit you sell comes with everything needed to make this project? like back plates and shrouds and projectors, or it only comes with the projectors?. are you including instructions, besides this how to?.

BTW: it looks terrific. i like the way you do the wiring. very clean.

nice job :cheers.
If you just buy the $150 kit, it does not come with plates, I do all that once I open the housing and I havent "prefected" the plates yet so I cant sell them... If I ever am comfortable with them I will offer them for sale, if that is the case I will start offering everything I use with the kits, but, at that point, the project done by me cost will go up. I try to do it for a good deal, I am thinking I am going to do 8 more kits at this price and then raise it. From what I understand you cant get this done for under $500 from others and while I still plan to do better then that its obvious I am undercompensating myself.

Also, thanks for the compliment

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
i don't have a problem paying you for the installation, but i can not wait to winter time, since this is the best time to ride and show up those projectors :lmao

now, if i do the installation myself, i would need more details like links where to buy the "special plastic" to build the plates, and shrouds. also you missed some dimensions critical to achieve the same result you got.

like those measurements.

thank you for your help.

·
"Krypton"
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
i don't have a problem paying you for the installation, but i can not wait to winter time, since this is the best time to ride and show up those projectors :lmao

now, if i do the installation myself, i would need more details like links where to buy the "special plastic" to build the plates, and shrouds. also you missed some dimensions critical to achieve the same result you got.

like those measurements.

thank you for your help.
I can give you those 4 measurements no problem, the problem is the other 7 holes that have to be drilled. And if they arent in the same spots then that would change the outcome of the position of the projectors.

The special plastic, the first kit I did with a plastic cutting board I believe made by farberware? from walmart as that is what others that did these mods had used. It was Very easy to work with, and sanded down nicely but I do have some decent power tools available to me (bandsaw, benchtop belt sander) the second Kit I used some UHMW i bought through mscdirect.com (in the color black) I got 1/2" and I think I should have just went with 3/8". This stuff looks great, cuts easy, but sands horribly, It took forever to even take a little material off.... maybe the belt was just getting beat though, I did not try a new belt. I have 10 projector sets worth of it though so it will be a bit before I go to some thinner stuff. If you want a couple blocks of it, I could sell it at a reasonable price ($5 each block bigger than you need it so you can cut it to size, ill sell more then 2 if you want to get an extra or 2 in case of screw ups) Just FYI, the cutting board was $15 at walmart and you can make 3 or 4 brackets with it.

To get my original measurements I used a set of calipers the best I could and tried to get it all to a thousanth of an inch, unfortunatly, nothing is straight on those housings, it makes it very hard to get it perfect. I will be more than happy to give you all those measurements, but keep in mind, you are going to have to tweak them, I recommend doing the big bracket and the 2 holes you pointed arrows to and then figuring out the position for the other bracket by dabbing a bit of grease or paint on the end of the other screw that will be going through the brackets adjustment screw (the black thing on the bracket) so you know where to drill the hold for the screw to go through and you can mount the smaller bracket accordingly. I will grab my notes on them tomorrow so I can give them to you. (shoot me a PM if you want them)

I saw a thread earlier asking for a broken set of headlights and there were a few people with them... maybe I will try to pick one up so I can put some time into developing these brackets better.

As for the shrouds, I dont have a template for them, I cut them out large and trim them until I like it, then I duplicate it. I went to a local hobby store and found a material I liked for the shrouds, but I am still trying to come up with something else, I am looking at these rubber cooking mats for pans that can be found on ebay and will probably go with them next unless I find something else I think would work as good or better

·
"Krypton"
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Guys,

I have decided to do only 10 kits total at this price. Knowing what the competition charges and when I stop to think about everything going into these installs I really am not making alot for my time when you add in the extra material used and the fact that I cover shipping back to you. Now, I still want to be the best price out there and from what I hear people charge between 500 and 600 for these mods, I am going to do the mod for $400 ($150 for the kit $250 for the install) with a couple of options that will make it a little higher if they are wanted. I am also going to be working at trying to perfect my plates and shrouds so I can offer them for sale for the do it yourselfers so you can do the mod for about half the price yourself (when these are ready)

Anyhow, I have done 2 so far and I have had one other customer pay already with a headlight housing on its way to me. So, I am offering this for 7 more kits. I am raising the price on the site now, and for the $300 kit/installation you will need to use the following coupon code which will be valid for 7 uses, after the 7th guy buys using this code it will automatically expire.

The Coupon code is:
r6proj

Applied during checkout this will take $100 off the order.

I think 7 more mods is a decent amount guys, but remember act fast as others probably want these too. Anybody is more than welcome to buy now and have them installed over the winter so they can lock in at this price, If I get a few of the preorders in for install over the winter I may add some more allowed people to this coupon code.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Is the bi-xenon (hi and low beam bulb) HID kit plug and play?

I might do this mod over the winter....

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm more interested in purchasing the kit with the brackets once you have perfected them.

I may consider your $300 offer if its possible to arrange a seamless "mail in headlights when ready, have them worked on, then mailed back" rather than mailing them in and waiting for you to finish your prior queue. I live in Arizona and the winter is riding season here. Otherwise, I'm content with just waiting for these brackets.

Now let me ask you, can this be done without the brackets? IE: Are they for looks or do they actually hold in the HIDs?

To be honest, if I can have confirmation that on a 2007 R6 the HIDs will work with the reflector housing I'm down for that. I think the reflector housing would be nifty. Anyone have pictures of HIDs with the reflector housing?

·
I got yami blue balls
565 Posts
I wish you were around when I decided to do this. I paid $475 and when I received my headlights back everything was wrong so I had to completely redo it myself. I got SHAFTED by misterjj :(

·
"Krypton"
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I'm more interested in purchasing the kit with the brackets once you have perfected them.

I may consider your $300 offer if its possible to arrange a seamless "mail in headlights when ready, have them worked on, then mailed back" rather than mailing them in and waiting for you to finish your prior queue. I live in Arizona and the winter is riding season here. Otherwise, I'm content with just waiting for these brackets.

Now let me ask you, can this be done without the brackets? IE: Are they for looks or do they actually hold in the HIDs?

To be honest, if I can have confirmation that on a 2007 R6 the HIDs will work with the reflector housing I'm down for that. I think the reflector housing would be nifty. Anyone have pictures of HIDs with the reflector housing?
Right now I am supposed to have 1 set on the way to me. I am not working on any at the moment.

Even so, I havent done any pre 08's so I will not be able to confirm that my brackets will work for a 07, they might be a bit different.

FlyingPig put a set in his reflector housings, but I do think his bike was the prior generation to yours... Im gonna dig up a link...

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119750&page=2

Follow flying pig in there and you can see the result of him installing on the projectors, I think it came out really nice.

·
"Krypton"
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I wish you were around when I decided to do this. I paid $475 and when I received my headlights back everything was wrong so I had to completely redo it myself. I got SHAFTED by misterjj :(
Sorry to hear that bro, just keep me in mind if the need ever comes up again.

I thought mrJJ's work was top notch, I would love to talk to him and get him to try my kits but his PM box is full whenever I try and I think I tried an email addy for him and he didnt reply.

·
"Krypton"
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Is the bi-xenon (hi and low beam bulb) HID kit plug and play?

I might do this mod over the winter....
Its pretty much P&P (are we talking about the regular kit or the projector kit?) the regular kit is all plug and play except you need to hook 1 wire to the battery and 2 wires to the frame or a good ground.

Thanks
Josh

·
TopGearAmbitiousButRubish
2,233 Posts
Sorry to hear that bro, just keep me in mind if the need ever comes up again.

I thought mrJJ's work was top notch, I would love to talk to him and get him to try my kits but his PM box is full whenever I try and I think I tried an email addy for him and he didnt reply.
That's because he was perma-banned for not having a vendor tag, I'm PM you his email.

·
drag some knee
494 Posts
wtf ! lol i just bought the hid kit and i see you have this what a downer lol =( i wouda bought this if i would of known lol

·
"Krypton"
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
wtf ! lol i just bought the hid kit and i see you have this what a downer lol =( i wouda bought this if i would of known lol
Damn, you shipped out today too

Edit:
I mean, use the search function next time NOOB lol

Wish it hadnt gone out, I would have held it back and let ya upgrade :)

·
drag some knee
494 Posts
Lol no biggey yea I should of done some research on it I've had a set of projectors on my first r6 but I wasn't about to pay for it again but that price makes it way worth it

Can't wait to get the HiD's thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks good, awesome price too! How do the optics compare to say, Acura and Infinity projectors (two of the best out there, in that order, IMO).

By that I mean, cut off sharpness -- which I have already seen. But, which I guess would be harder to explain. How even does the light spread out on the road ahead of you. Is the spread fairly even along the ground or are there some some dark patches? Eh. I can't even explain it that well. I guess I notice is most on some BMW's. If you look at a BMW projector spread, there are some patches of light on the road which are brighter than others, which also creates dark patches. I dunno, maybe it's just me but that kind of thing would get to me. Lol.

41 - 60 of 274 Posts