Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought my track days for the season were over, and in the middle of prepping my bike for next season, Zoom Zoom decides to send me an e-mail about a Laguna Seca track day hosted by Track Masters on December 1st and 2nd. It will be a joint day with two groups of cars and two groups of motorcycles. $320 covers both days, and there are no single day sales.

I was wondering if anyone else was going or if anyone had even heard about it? I was totally unprepared. I just got track plastics put on my bike but they aren't even painted yet. I'll be going with the factory primer.

I'm a little nervous because I have a midpipe with the factory muffler. I am worried about blowing the 92 decibel limit without the stock header. Does anyone near Monterey have a spare? At first I wasn't worried about putting on a midpipe. I figured if I go back to Laguna Seca I'll just baby it past the sound booth but now that the time has arrived I am wishing I had a spare.

Anyway, I haven't heard much about this track day and the information on the website is pretty limited. I found out that the novice and intermediate level riders will be together in the same session and advanced will have their own session. I hope I'm not getting in too far over my head but I signed up for the advanced group. I hope I'm not too much in the way but the last time I rode with C group on Laguna Seca I never got a single clean lap.

Let me know if anyone else is attending. Here is the link to the site:

http://trackmasters-racing.com/index.cfm?H<<8*F[RH%40S%3BSF%28%29%3B6J.LDJQ-EH4%2B%3B5A%27KH.%28G%2BB9D5.%3DD99UN*.F%20%40%20%20%0Aurle

·
ARMADA
1,038 Posts
I have a stock pipe..located in SF tho..

Watch out for dirt and sand on the track as cars usually go off course and kick up dirt onto the track

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I just found someone who is letting me borrow her stock pipe. And that is a good point about sand and dirt. I didn't think about it. The same thing happens with motorcycles, but I guess cars probably kick up a lot more.

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
Damn! That is an awesome deal!!! I cannot see if they are sold out...wants me to sign in.

I would be really tempted if the weather was looking better. The only trackday I have ever done at Laguna (in my car) got cut short because it was raining too hard and they closed the track. :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We typically have pretty good weather in Monterey around this time, but then again that can change. Sometimes the weather changes 2-3 times in one day. As of now rain is in the forecast for next weekend. I hope it is nice out though. Otherwise this will be an expensive rainy day. One thing I have learned, you never can trust the forecast in Monterey.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No need for envy. We are under a flood advisory on the Monterey peninsula. This weekend is going to suck. I wonder how many people will even show up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, today wasn't too bad. The the sun actually came out and dried up the track for most of the day, the last session got a little rain and made things slick at the end. Tomorrow is supposed to be a 95 percent chance of rain so I might not be so lucky. I did put on a pair of race rain tires, so we will see how those do.

I also got meat balled on sound. I went by at 99 db in the first session. That was taking it easy with stock exhaust and race intake. After that, I went by the sound booth in 6th gear, with no additional problems.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Laguna is the Shit! It's expensive as hell, but 100% worth it. I'll stick to riding it twice a year. Hopefully Yamaha does their appreciation weekend there again next year! Definitely a awesome time!
:stupic

18.5" of rain in Monterey last weekend? WTF, is that true or is the national news full of $hit, as usual?

Hope you had some rain tires! :D
:yes, no BS. We've had a whole buncha rain, enough to seep through the floors in my house :nono (bad drainage to blame for and fixed now, I hope)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok, time for an update. Only about 10 bikes showed up to ride, so all three ability groups were put into one 25 minute session. Saturday rained in the morning but the sun came out and dried up the track for the last three sessions. It was awesome with so few bikes, and I felt like a total boss out there.

Sunday was some of the worst weather I have seen out here. It rained harder than I have ever seen it rain in Monterey non-stop until about 2. After that is was slow rain but steady until the last session. I did end up buying a set of rain tires from CT Racing. Chris really hooked us up out there and made us all safe in the rain. These Pirelli rain tires have such amazing grip. If I had more confidence in myself I could have ran a lot faster, but I was totally happy tearing it up out there in the rain. I never lost grip and was even pulling wheelies out of turn 11 and felt totally stable crossing the rivers on the front straight and Rainey curve.

I don't have any pictures or video. I chose not to bring my camera because I didn't want to do something stupid while trying to look cool. Maybe next time i am on the track in the rain I'll shoot some video.

Next on my wish list is an extra set of wheels so I don't have to go back and forth between tires anymore.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts