Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Track Time
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got the opportunity to ride this historic track on Sunday, what an amazing experience! just awesome!

1st lap I crawled my way around the track and actually rode over the metal drain grate in the corkscrew, LOL, coming over that hill you are completely blind. Learned the track quickly though and dropped over 30 sec by the end of the day. Had a blast.

this is coming down the corkscrew:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Awesome man, great pics. Had to be a blast I'm sure. I only know the track from looking at pictures and even then it looks like an awesome experience.

·
Track Time
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you buy the pictures? Looks like Keigwins day at Laguna....pics with watermark should be free :secret: (or did you just crop the watermark?)
yes pics w/watermark are free, I gave them $45 to get without, mainly cause I wanted to contribute to their pay for the day for their efforts.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
the screw was the easiest part of the track for me. Had a knee on the deck inside of 2 sessions there.
Rainey curve and the front straight were the biggest mental ****s for me.
I loved hauling ass through 4, 5 & up the hill. And once I broke out of the reservation of sending it through the kink on the front...I had lots of fun. 2 is a super heavy trail brake turn plus youre slowing down from a 6 gear WFO sprint out of 11.

·
Track Time
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't wait until I go. Thanks for the insight. I'm so looking forward to riding there.
you know there's a 90db noise limit and you have to ride with a stock exhaust pipe right?
you also have to put race # on your bike so they can easily flag a bike in violation of the noise limit.
if you don't come with #s on your bike you can buy them from the track photographer for $3 which is what I did

·
Touchdown!
1,285 Posts
you know there's a 90db noise limit and you have to ride with a stock exhaust pipe right?
you also have to put race # on your bike so they can easily flag a bike in violation of the noise limit.
if you don't come with #s on your bike you can buy them from the track photographer for $3 which is what I did
I still have the Cat on my bike with just a GYTR slip on.

·
Track Time
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still have the Cat on my bike with just a GYTR slip on.
if you have an noise reducing insert to put in you will need to do that.
if not then you will need to short-shift up a gear and maybe roll off the throttle just as you pass the noise meter.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
if you have an noise reducing insert to put in you will need to do that.
if not then you will need to short-shift up a gear and maybe roll off the throttle just as you pass the noise meter.
That's what I do. Short shift to 4th and keep the revs below 12k. Pretty annoying, but I've never been flagged for it and I've got a Leo Vince full system.

·
Touchdown!
1,285 Posts
I don't think just a slip on at WOT would be above the threshold. I'll put it on a meter at WOT to see how many dB register.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
609 Posts
Sorry
Thats a bunch of bullshit. One of the greatest tracks in the states and sorry you gotta ssshhhh your bike
6 tracks in texas 2 in La 1 in Ok 1 in NM and 1 in Nv and 2 in Az and they dont require that. Cali BS

·
Registered
4 Posts
How did meet the sound requirements ? I know my bike wouldn't be anywhere close to the 96db or whatever it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Track Time
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think just a slip on at WOT would be above the threshold. I'll put it on a meter at WOT to see how many dB register.
oh yes it will if you don't have a quiet insert to put in the muffler, you will pop sound unless you short shift and roll off the throttle going up the hill.

Sorry
Thats a bunch of bullshit. One of the greatest tracks in the states and sorry you gotta ssshhhh your bike
6 tracks in texas 2 in La 1 in Ok 1 in NM and 1 in Nv and 2 in Az and they dont require that. Cali BS
has nothing to do with California, it has to do with the very rich community in Monterey that wants to keep the noise levels down. They only allow for a certain number of full-loud events per year to be held at Laguna Seca (WSB and some car races). Given the choice of having to throw my stock pipe on or not being able to ride the track I'll chose the former.

How did meet the sound requirements ? I know my bike wouldn't be anywhere close to the 96db or whatever it is
the noise limit is 90db. Most stock pipes will not exceed this. I've been told the BMW 1000RR will pop sound there. My mechanic thought my new R6 would also because of the large air box, but I didn't and I never let off the throttle. Guys with loud pipes use quite insert plugs and short shift up to 4th or 5th gear going up the hill AND roll off throttle as they go by the noise meter. I was able to go WOT in 3rd gear all the way up the hill. If you have a stock pipe and you get popped for sound you get 3 warnings and you're done for the day. If you have an aftermarket pipe and try to beat the system and get popped you may or may not get a 2nd chance, depending on how your conversation goes with tech.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts