Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding on a couple occasions and the large nut in the center of my handlebars has rattled loose. I always hand tighten it and it hasn't slipped loose again in a while. I'm going to be putting a RAM mount over it soon and I wanted to torque it down properly. Does anyone have the torque spec for this nut? I couldn't find it in a service manual I found on another forum. Also, if anyone knows what the proper name for this nut is, what purpose it serves, and what size socket I need the information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
748 Posts
36mm socket and torque is 86 ft-lbs for the stock steering stem nut

·
Make good choices.
2,794 Posts
...what purpose it serves, and what size socket I need the information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
...Please tell me that this one nut and gravity isn't the only thing holding the handlebars on the fork...
The pinch bolts are the two on the edges of the handlebars? For loosening/stiffening the suspension?
Thanks all. I think I found the pinch bolts. The ones that calmp the two forks. Where are the clip-on bolts?
Really, dude?

I mean I understand some people are more mechanically inclined than others, but we're talking about the front end of a motorcycle here, not the space shuttle. You should be able to take a long, hard look and see how everything fits together, what it affixes to, and what holds it together. Also, yeah, definitely take a look at a factory service manual.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not that I'm not mechanically inclined, I just don't know which bolts he's referring to. Alright, my comment about the one bolt holding the bars on was a little silly in hindsight. That's just a lot of torque and I thought maybe that's why. The manual I found online shows an upper bracket pinch bolt and a handlebar pinch bolt. Can't find a clip on bolt. Oddly enough, the steering stem nut is not mentioned either. Think I'm going to buy a manual. This one must not be complete.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,581 Posts
"Clip-on" and "handlebar" are the same thing.

Which year manual are you looking at? The steering stem nut torque is on pg 2-22 in the 99-02 manual, 2-22 in the 03-04 manual, 2-21 in the 06-07 manual and 2-20 in the '08 manual. 115 Nm (or 82-85 lb-ft).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like I've got the 04 Manual 8ball. I do see the steering stem nut listed now. Just didn't know what to call it at first. Not sure why I couldn't find it when saleen chimed in with the name. I tried searching but I must have added a space or something. Either way, thanks everyone for the help. Should be a pretty straighforward fix from here.

"Clip-on" and "handlebar" are the same thing.

Which year manual are you looking at? The steering stem nut torque is on pg 2-22 in the 99-02 manual, 2-22 in the 03-04 manual, 2-21 in the 06-07 manual and 2-20 in the '08 manual. 115 Nm (or 82-85 lb-ft).

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,581 Posts
No problem. Sometimes we forget that not everyone has been hearing the same nomenclature and terminology that gets thrown around. I work around the railroad, and the same thing happens there. If you tell someone that the AR-10 is unloading and the ice cream box is empty, on a locomotive. You might think that someone is using an assault rifle to steal Popsicles off the train, not understand that the oil is low in the strainer housing and that the main alternator is backing off it's output.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks 8ball. Same story at my workplace. I didn't take offense to anyone's comments. All these posts were useful. Just haven't done enough work on my R6 (or any motorcycle) to have a great idea how the front fork is assembled. But, the diagram on page 4-45 seems to break it out pretty well. Just hadn't taken a close enough look in person.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.