Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering about the proper way to launch off the line for this awesome 3.5 sec 0-60 ive been hearing about. ie, what rpm to dump the clutch, how to feel the clutch grab....

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
You don't dump the clutch in launching.

you rev the engine at an RPM that your comfortable with, (this will increase as your skill level does) and you feather the clutch out to the point that the front end gets light, then you clutch just enough to keep it from flipping over. From there it's a balance between throttle and clutch.

This skill is partially what seperates a great drag racer from the rest.

I'm sure Shane can shed more light on this, since he drag races.

·
Something Clever
1,272 Posts
Hey TexasR6, you've used the term "feathering" before. Can you explain it to a noob like me? What I have in my head is that it is a clutch control thing so you're not popping it all the way in or all the way out.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I always wanted to drag race my R6. Yeah this is a good post because whenever I try to launch on the street I end up on one wheel, then I get scared and close the throttle. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was too nervous to do it right the first few times, and watching one of my friends do a no leg 12 o clock on a launch while I was trying to learn didn't help at all!! Just ask Suekie about that one he saw it also. (I believe they have that video clip.)
The next weekend I got it down alot better. I just rev it up pretty good and let it out with steady pressure. Just try it a few times gradually adding a little more rpm's. I am not sure how good it is on the clutch though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is how i launch....

1) Pull in clutch, put bike in 1st gear. I also launch with my left foot on the peg, so i am already ready to shift...
2) Let clutch out until you feel it start to grab
3) Pull clutch back in a hair (you should be physically holding the bike from creeping foward)
4) I launch at about 11k rpm, but whatever you feel comfortable with
5) Keep throttle constant
6) Feather clutch out (DO NOT DUMP IT) ... slowly let the clutch out...remember the point where the clutch was starting to engage? just after that point is what you are looking for...at least me.
7) control the height of the front wheel with the clutch - do not back off the throttle...if the front wheel is coming up too much, pull in the clutch a little
8) as clutch is slowly let all the way out, you are rolling on the throttle

but that is just me...i hear drag racers launch at a lower RPM, i am still trying to figure out why....

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
tripleTUNE said:
Hey TexasR6, you've used the term "feathering" before. Can you explain it to a noob like me? What I have in my head is that it is a clutch control thing so you're not popping it all the way in or all the way out.
You got it right, its all about clutch and throttle control. Feathering is a racing term for essentially slipping the clutchor in the case of drag cars "dancing" with the throttle to stay on the edge of traction.

TapoutR6, drag racing launches are not good for the clutch. I remember a few years ago when some mag got the new ZX-9R to run a sub-10 pass it took them three clutches to do it.

·
Lets go ride
433 Posts
TWOtheONE said:
This is how i launch....

1) Pull in clutch, put bike in 1st gear. I also launch with my left foot on the peg, so i am already ready to shift...
2) Let clutch out until you feel it start to grab
3) Pull clutch back in a hair (you should be physically holding the bike from creeping foward)
4) I launch at about 11k rpm, but whatever you feel comfortable with
5) Keep throttle constant
6) Feather clutch out (DO NOT DUMP IT) ... slowly let the clutch out...remember the point where the clutch was starting to engage? just after that point is what you are looking for...at least me.
7) control the height of the front wheel with the clutch - do not back off the throttle...if the front wheel is coming up too much, pull in the clutch a little
8) as clutch is slowly let all the way out, you are rolling on the throttle

but that is just me...i hear drag racers launch at a lower RPM, i am still trying to figure out why....
damn two. couldnt said it better. i have been to the strip afew times. and too little rpm was my problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
All good points. Your clutch will pay a price after dragracing so many times though. But.....you have to pay to play. I went dragracing with Shane (SpidermanSS) and the gang. Those guys were launching so hard, they had to change clutchs at the end of every day. You won't burn your clutch up by dragracing a few times, but I'm just saying 'feathering' the clutch after a bit means replacing the clutch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The high RPM is a good way of doing it. I have done it a few times, but it wasn't for me. To much thinking. What I do when I launch is do it at a low to RPM....sort of. I get my bike up to about 5000rpm and let out the clutch just enough so that I have to keep the bike from rolling foward. When the time comes to launch, I just let out the clutch and open the throttle....and positioning myself so that my chest is over the tank. This helps keep the front in down a bit. The front of my bike does come up a bit, but by the time I switch to second gear, the front end is back on the ground. By keeping myself over the tank, it does cause some drag, but I find that it is more comfortable for me.

Another thing that I noticed that no one mentioned on here; pre-load and damper your bike to your weight. If you are running the stock pre-load and damper, then you won't get the max out of your bike on launching.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Lets see I'll agree with most of it but leaving at 11 grand on a six??? Trying to blow it. I would let a racer stage before me if I knew you were doing that. Anyway on the six I would leave at 8 grand while rolling on the gas and feathering on the clutch. Its all bout the clutch and giving it gas. You have to know that clutch good. As far as going to second, let the wheel come up but not to the point of a wheelie. Just practice on a country road away from everyone. Anyone want to post time slips???

This one is on a 01 929 (My weapon of choice) Hindle Full sys and a stock map on the power commander. I'm up 2 in the back and its lowered. This is slow for me and I was sleeping at the light.

R-.842
60ft-1.813
594 ft 6.724
1/8 et 7.191
Mph 96.35

I have some quarter times I just have to find them

·
Registered
527 Posts
Lets see I'll agree with most of it but leaving at 11 grand on a six??? Trying to blow it. I would let a racer stage before me if I knew you were doing that. Anyway on the six I would leave at 8 grand while rolling on the gas and feathering on the clutch. Its all bout the clutch and giving it gas. You have to know that clutch good. As far as going to second, let the wheel come up but not to the point of a wheelie. Just practice on a country road away from everyone. Anyone want to post time slips???

This one is on a 01 929 (My weapon of choice) Hindle Full sys and a stock map on the power commander. I'm up 2 in the back and its lowered. This is slow for me and I was sleeping at the light.

R-.842
60ft-1.813
594 ft 6.724
1/8 et 7.191
Mph 96.35

I have some quarter times I just have to find them

·
Registered
281 Posts
i tried different rpm's to launch....but if i was not above 10k, i was losing positions all the way to turn 1. you can get away with that in the novice class...but, in the expert class, you need a good start. granted i have only been racing for a year and a half, but i am still on the same clutch.

i have never been to a strip....strictly tracks.

i learned to launch racing motocross. so, i am pretty tough on my clutch.

the old two stroke 500cc grand prix bikes could only use their clutch for one or two starts before they had to replace it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That explains it. Two different types of track riders. Drag racing is completely different. Take it to a track and try it out!!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
good tips thank!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts