Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have never taken my bike to the track or raced my bike from a dead stop.

i want to run the quatermile, so im looking for tips on how to launch my bike...

RPM?
slip or drop the clutch?
how to keep the front wheel down?

things like this...

·
In Florida
778 Posts
well, i hold mine up around 10,000 - 12,000 rpms and have to slip the clutch while takeing off, you want to keep the RPM's up to get a good launch, if you rev it to high and dump the clutch, you may find yourself lieing on your back.

go off to some back road and practice launching first.

if your front wheel comes up, let off the throttle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, im about 210 lbs. i think i will have less problems keeping the front wheel on the ground, or this dosnt matter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my brother tryed launching his bike yesterday. hes a new rider. so he was trying it at 4 and 5000 RPM. the bike kept stalling right away. it will always do that when you try to launch at a lower RPM or was he doing something wrong?

his bike is brand new and he dosnt wanna rev it high yet, i know...he shouldnt be trying to laung it until after the break in. but its his bike, not mine...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Has he driven a manual transmission car? Sometimes people don't have the whole clutch/throttle thing down...Have him let off on the clutch slower, and it should be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hes familiar with driving stick. he has an 11 sec corolla. but in pretty new to bikes compared to cars. and hes a rookie to bikes. so were both still learning...

were both waiting until 600 miles and the first service until we full throttle it or go ever 8k. im just looking for pointers...were both just shy of 300 miles on the new r6's...

·
Hey Guy
5,292 Posts
Im new to riding too. But from what i've tried, its all about timing. Im about 150lbs and i did a wheelie on accident just slipping the clutch at about 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i usually launch at around 10-12k ad lean over the tank ride the clutch out and make sure you plant you feet good before you do launch and when the front wheel usually comes up and your already over the tank just ride it out its not going to come up that high and will go back down when shifting i have mine geared 1- 2+ and only weigh around 180 and it hardley comes up just remember to slip the clutch also i drop tire pressure usually to like 26 or lower

1 - 12 of 12 Posts