Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I was flipping through Motorcyclist Magazine and saw that they had listed the R6 as thier monthly Best Bet on used bikes. So I wanted to see what they said about it. One thing they said to look out for was leaking batteries on the 99-2001 models and they said to check the swingarm for marks. This reminded that just two days ago I noticed some marks that looked a little like corrosion!!! :poke :idea: I have a leaking battery. So has anyone had this happen? Will Yamaha replace it? Has anyone purchased an aftermarket that has worked well? I hear the new ones are fixed, but I bet it will cost me a fortune here. Any advice? :cuss

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much is that going to cost to fix??
Well, first thing is first, you need to call customer service at (714) 761 7439 or (800) 962 7962. I talked to a guy named robert, didn´t catch his last name. I asked what Yamaha´s official position is on the leaky battery issue now that it has been going on for over a year. He said that it is not classified as a recall and that what must be done is that you need to take it to a dealer and have them look at it and they send a report to Yamaha. Each bike is handled on a case by case basis and depends on what the dealer says. So, it needs to be a US dealer, so I´m screwed, but my suggestion would be to offer to pay the dealer a little to do the looking over in trade for them sending a very convincing report to Yamaha. Also, if you can track down a dealer near you who has seen this before and successfully gotten Yamaha to flip the bill, well, all the better.

:scared Best of luck. All I can say is that I hope your damage was as minimal as mine appears to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.