Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I rode my bike to the gym and back, maybe 15 miles total, and when I got home I noticed the chrome part on the right fork was damp, along with some fluid on different parts of the tire. I know it was fine before I left, but I hit a small pothole on my way home and it didn't seem like much, but I'm guessing it was just enough to blow the seal.

Bike as about 12k miles on it so it seems like something that shouldn't happen since I'm not the wheelie type, but it needs fixed and I may as well do both.

I was wondering if anyone had any sort of parts list, so I may be able to order the parts myself. I called around one place quoted me at "about" $100 worth of parts for the seals and the bushings. The stealership said about 80. It'll be 3 hours of labor, so 88/hr or 75/hr if I feel like I can get it about 25 miles to the other shop. Or 2 hours if I pull the forks myself which seems simple enough.

That sound about right? Is there a better seal kit I should order or just stick with yamaha oem stuff?
I plan to do the rear stand and floor jack method with a piece of wood between the jack and headers to support it. Would it be safe to sit like this for a week or would that damage the headers?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Those prices sound about right. So glad I can work on my own stuff though. $88/hour is tough to swallow.

Should be just fine sitting like that, but I'd say put the front end on a stand and stack up some wood underneath the headers and then let it down off the stand onto the wood. That way you don't have to worry about the jack leaking down or falling over. If you have the tools, you can make a decent little wood stand that fits the headers and is decently stable. I know my bike likes to fall to the right when it is on the rear stand and I'm only supporting it by a stack of 2x4's under the headers. I just cut another piece to stick under the water pump so it won't fall that way.

Make sure you clean the top of the forks before you pull them down out of the triples. I also like to spread the triples apart a little where the bolts are so the upper fork tubes don't drag on the clamping area of the triple. It's just extra insurance against messing up your fork legs.

And +1 for OEM seals. The other stuff usually isn't that much cheaper anyways.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those prices sound about right. So glad I can work on my own stuff though. $88/hour is tough to swallow.

Should be just fine sitting like that, but I'd say put the front end on a stand and stack up some wood underneath the headers and then let it down off the stand onto the wood. That way you don't have to worry about the jack leaking down or falling over. If you have the tools, you can make a decent little wood stand that fits the headers and is decently stable. I know my bike likes to fall to the right when it is on the rear stand and I'm only supporting it by a stack of 2x4's under the headers. I just cut another piece to stick under the water pump so it won't fall that way.

Make sure you clean the top of the forks before you pull them down out of the triples. I also like to spread the triples apart a little where the bolts are so the upper fork tubes don't drag on the clamping area of the triple. It's just extra insurance against messing up your fork legs.

And +1 for OEM seals. The other stuff usually isn't that much cheaper anyways.

Thanks, and yeah that's the plan. I usually do my own stuff, I've done plugs, sprockets, things like that. I've just been told if you scratch the forks at all they are done for. I rather have someone else do it when it's that type of job. Not to mention they will have all the proper tools to bleed it and such. Rather have it done right the first time when it comes to things like suspension.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Oem seals only bro. Others have been proven to leak right away.

Should be fine with the wood under the bike

:YEA
My Yamaha seals kept leaking. I tried some from all balls. They have a double spring seal. 2 years later they're still dry.
But I did use all the proper tools this time around and race tech seal grease.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
get urself a seal driver, some oem seals, and some new fork oil and rebuild them. Theres a couple of how to's floating around. If you have an impact gun then you wont need any of the fancy cartidge holding tools and what not. But i do recommend a good measuring cup!

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Thanks, and yeah that's the plan. I usually do my own stuff, I've done plugs, sprockets, things like that. I've just been told if you scratch the forks at all they are done for. I rather have someone else do it when it's that type of job. Not to mention they will have all the proper tools to bleed it and such. Rather have it done right the first time when it comes to things like suspension.

Pretty much the exact reason why I chose to do my own maintenance. Also because after you buy the tools it isn't that much more the first time around, and always less after.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I just realized no one commented on the bushing needing replaced, and I called the stealership, they said in the system it shows that they can't be replaced. Makes no sense to me but I have no idea how exactly forks work outside of a bicycle. But he said what they should cost and that they could order them anyway. I'm not looking to get screwed on this, but I can't find any sort of bushing on the cyclepart website either looking at the diagram. All they have is the fork seal kit, which I assume I would need 2 of.

Any ideas?

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
:cheers
Getting a dealer to do it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts