Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just had a quick question.

My bike has been in my garage on stands for about 4 months now. The garage is not temperature controlled so it got pretty cold in there. I just replaced my tires and noticed there was a small amount of oil on both forks. They were both leaking the same amount. There was no puddle on the floor or anything just a film on the shocks. I cleaned the shocks with a towel and then bounced the front end like 5 times while holding the front brake. I did this twice and every time less and less oil was showing.

Is this normal after being stored for a long period of time with no movement?

Thanks for any responses.

·
Stunt Rider
7,950 Posts
Seals could have went bad. Just keep an eye on it after a few rides.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update! So I cleaned the rods and rode my bike to work (27 miles) once I got there i checked the rods and it had very little oil. I cleaned them again and once I got home I checked them and they were bone dry.

So im guessing it was from the bike sitting so long in a cold garage for 4 months?

·
Stunt Rider
7,950 Posts
Update! So I cleaned the rods and rode my bike to work (27 miles) once I got there i checked the rods and it had very little oil. I cleaned them again and once I got home I checked them and they were bone dry.

So im guessing it was from the bike sitting so long in a cold garage for 4 months?
Did you just answer your own question?

·
Registered
428 Posts
my bike did that the other day. took it out of the garage and while i was pumping the forks i could see a little oil. wiped them dry. took a spin around the block, doing hard throttle and braking to compress and extend the forks and i couldn't get any more oil to come out. it may get worse as the weather warms up so just keep an eye on the forks after every ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.