Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner used silicone it appears. It didn't leak for 1500mi at least and now is just barely seeping out, 7-8k rpm sustained on ride to work is when I noticed. I want to order new grommet. Just got fairing off and got to bottom of where it's leaking. So..can I remove the cover to replace grommet without having to mess with timing chain? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
If it's like the 2nd-Gen, there's a gasket between the engine and cover. With that gasket, you won't need (difficult to remove) sealants. (but you'll still require RTV for the spaces where the wire enters) When removing remnants of the old gasket, be sure to avoid damaging the mating surfaces or leaving debris/sealant inside the engine. Because of that, it'll take awhile. Brake fluid on a rag seems to work well enough. The fasteners (screws) are different lengths, so make sure you know which goes where. Be patient, don't rush and you won't have to take it apart a second time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's like the 2nd-Gen, there's a gasket between the engine and cover. With that gasket, you won't need (difficult to remove) sealants. (but you'll still require RTV for the spaces where the wire enters) When removing remnants of the old gasket, be sure to avoid damaging the mating surfaces or leaving debris/sealant inside the engine. Because of that, it'll take awhile. Brake fluid on a rag seems to work well enough. The fasteners (screws) are different lengths, so make sure you know which goes where. Be patient, don't rush and you won't have to take it apart a second time.

View attachment 374762
View attachment 374763
Thanks. I actually haven't removed the cover, it appears to only be leaking around where the tubing goes into top of cover. I thought it was the gasket until I got the plastic off. I'll try RTV around tubing entry, if still leaking I'll replace the gasket. I found the diagram you shared but as you know there's no grommet on it. I appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

View attachment 374762
View attachment 374763
After taking it for a ride minus fairing it is in fact leaking from the gasket not where tubing enters top of cover. I will order the gasket now. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts