Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of u guys played with this????
its a safety sensor, in the event ur bike crashes, ignition is automatically cut.

however, in certain suzuki models, the margin is not very good. not sure about the r6, but never had a problem with it before. so, in the name of track safety, it better to disable it. u never know when u might try to pull a rossi or hopkins.

the sensor is below the rider seat. next to the fuse box, affixed with 2 screws. u can actually, remove the sensor from its case and see how it works. if sensor is removed, error code 30 appears and servo motor moves around like an idiot.

how to disable, feel the case with silicone.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
say bye bye to the engine when you crash and it lays on it's side and runs till it blows or spins a bearing. its best to leave it in tact. or use a teather on the kill switch like the drag racer guys do. so when you fall off the kill switch stops the motor.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
it really isn't a lean angle sensor. it is a rollover sensor. if your bike does more than a 180 degree rotation ( from one side or the other ) it will kill the engine. you can lay the bike on the ground and it will not initiate the sensors switch. but if you start to get the tires above the clip ons it will kill the bike.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
well I hate to burst your knowledge bubble but I laid mine down in a ditch rather easy once and it cut off almost instantly when it hit the ground. and the ditch actually held it up at an angle. so it wasn't fully on its side like it would be on flat ground.

so maybe the jaring of it hitting the ground is enough to set it off also.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
you both admit that the bike was on it's side completly. So that means the sensor did it's job. It is a rollover sensor none the less and it sole purpose is to kill the engine if the bike exceeds a certain angle. it should never initiate while riding the bike at a lean angle that can be acomplished by any skilled rider. it is possible that it has an inertia setting as well and a sudden jar in a certain direction could set it off but not likley. It will throw a code as well if it did in fact engage.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just to share.
during last weekend race at sepang, 4 r6 crashed at different laps. all privateers. didnt know about lean angle sensor.

all riders picked up and continued. all riders encounted error code 30 upon crash. and couldnt clutch in and start engine. lost alot of seconds there.

this mod aint for road riders but track/racers.

·
Registered
339 Posts
ambasnakeman said:
just to share.
during last weekend race at sepang, 4 r6 crashed at different laps. all privateers. didnt know about lean angle sensor.

all riders picked up and continued. all riders encounted error code 30 upon crash. and couldnt clutch in and start engine. lost alot of seconds there.

this mod aint for road riders but track/racers.
why would it only be R6's? R6's are not the only bike with kill switches that engage when your bike is layed down. Not trying to be a jackhole but your point seems invalid. I lowsidedand the bike slide for about 50' before it came to a stop but anyways I was already running back to my bike before it actually shut off. Probably after sliding it sat there for like 10 secs before it shut itself off. I picked it up and got right back on , THANK GOD FOR FRAMESLIDERS DOING THEIR JOB!

·
Registered
120 Posts
question on this part....

is it a 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" black box that has 16 pins in it?

if so can this go bad? i have the code 30- lean angle sensor (tip over sensor)
can i just unplug clean and go from there?

this is my problem..
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47444

also... this part wasnt mounted on the tab like it should have been. therefor it was bouncing around in the little are. it also has some wear on the one side (otherside of mounting tab) .

like i said, intermitten problem...didnt do it for a few days, again started up.

thank you again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yes, took them apart and cleaned them, put back together. i havent repalced the tps. 100 bucks that dont know if it will fix it. i need to ohm it out.in the service manual it states the lean angle cutoff switch is above the rear passenger peg. so that is why i checked there.

i dont plan on doing anything with the lean over sensor. just wanted to know if it can go bad and if what i described could be that part.

·
Registered
339 Posts
its more of a horizontal tip over sensor instead of a vertical sensor if that makes sense.

·
Registered
163 Posts
ambasnakeman said:
have any of u guys played with this????
its a safety sensor, in the event ur bike crashes, ignition is automatically cut.

however, in certain suzuki models, the margin is not very good. not sure about the r6, but never had a problem with it before. so, in the name of track safety, it better to disable it. u never know when u might try to pull a rossi or hopkins.

the sensor is below the rider seat. next to the fuse box, affixed with 2 screws. u can actually, remove the sensor from its case and see how it works. if sensor is removed, error code 30 appears and servo motor moves around like an idiot.

how to disable, feel the case with silicone.

We alll already have a lean sensor for our bikes. It is called a knee.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you can go all the way down witht he pegs grinding on the floor and it wont set it off. the bike does have to lay down tbh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts