Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ヤマハ for life
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search but haven't been able to find what I am looking for, so if this is something that has been brought up a million times I apologize for that. I have been riding for a little over a year. One of the first days I had my bike I went out for a ride with a friend and some guys who are big into racing. They were showing me how I should go around turns and and the way I should position my body on the bike. They said I should shift my body over in a fluid motion with my head, shoulder, and knee moving together. It has helped and I can go through turns better than I used to be able to.

Even though my friends make fun of me when I am doing it I still find it helpful to practice my body position even when not pushing the bike. I find it funny though how they mostly think they are great riders but just watching them go through turns just looks uncomfortable. Their head is almost over the opposite side of the visor than the direction they are going.

My question is that sometimes I still feel uncomfortable when leaning to the right side. Going to the left is fine, but I feel too stiff sometimes when when I go right. I was told to just keep going through a lot of right turns and I will get over it but it hasn't seemed to work. Is there anyone else out there who has or is experiencing the same thing or something similar, and is there anything i should try to remedy this? I haven't been to a track day and it seems like my work schedule may not let me before the end of the season. I am assuming once I start attending track days I will get over it, but I don;t want to keep that idea in my head and then put the bike down cause I was positioned wrong on the bike.

I appreciate any help people have to offer, and thanks in advance.

-Andrew

·
46 Fan
49 Posts
Watch a superbike race, notice how even the top 5 have different body positions? Corner to corner, track to track, nothing should be the same. Best advice I can give is find something that works for you... being comfortable will allow you to concentrate on what you're supposed to be doing. Take it to the track though, that's the best place for honing in this skill.

·
VVVVVVRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMM
221 Posts
A friend of mine hates right hand turns. He says going to the left I can run off the road. To the right if I go wide I could smack into an on coming vehicle. That could be one of the major physiological factors limiting your ability to turn right. Now, I am having similar problems. I feel unstable through the turns. I think my problem is mainly tires are worn out.. suspension setup is still iffy. Also, if your unsure of the roads you are running don't go flying through them. Some of the guys I ride with sometime are pulled over with their helmets off before I catch up. They know the roads and were riding motorcycles back when I was in middle school. I am 23 now! So, they have been at it awhile. Don't let the other guys push you to ride faster than your riding ability. You'll end up with thousands of dollars in repairs or possibly no bike at all. Take your time. What fun is riding when all you are doing is beating yourself up because you can't keep up.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
Watch a superbike race, notice how even the top 5 have different body positions? Corner to corner, track to track, nothing should be the same. Best advice I can give is find something that works for you... being comfortable will allow you to concentrate on what you're supposed to be doing. Take it to the track though, that's the best place for honing in this skill.
qhat he said above...it's to your comfort level
my body positioning looks like this...but i see other people ride differently

·
Will work for parts...
201 Posts
I have the same problem. I have absolutely ZERO chicken strip on the left and about 1/4-1/2 in on the right. I feel really confident to the left, but when it comes to the right im just not comfortable leaning the bike over that far. I think for me it has to do with throttle control when im leaned off to the right. I have two track days at NJMP in august and im really going to focus on right handers.

Also, this helped... I found an open parking lot (its brand new for a high school that just got built) and just started making progressively tighter circles to the right leaning more and more. If i felt uncomfortable, i would pick the bike up... Drive around... and try again.

Unfortunately i have had a little bit of front end push with stock qualifiers so i just put on some DC III's... It could be due to my suspension and not the tire though... But yeah anyway... Im in the same boat as you!

·
ヤマハ for life
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys. it has nothing to do with me trying to keep up. I tell my friends when we go riding "don't wait, I know where we r going so I will meet you there if I fall back." so i don't care what people think about my riding, I just want to feel more comfortable with leaning off to the right, but I have been progressively getting faster. It's not a matter of knowing the roads either cause there are some spots we always ride at so I know where there is driveways, gravel, bumps etc.

The front wheel also feels like it is tucking down and in sometimes when i am leaning. I don't know how else to describe it. It could be from the suspension which is dead stock. I haven't had it adjusted either which I hear helps a lot. Does anyone in the NY know a good place to get that done?

-Andrew

·
46 Fan
49 Posts
The front wheel also feels like it is tucking down and in sometimes when i am leaning. I don't know how else to describe it. It could be from the suspension which is dead stock. I haven't had it adjusted either which I hear helps a lot. Does anyone in the NY know a good place to get that done?

-Andrew
Check your tire pressures, they may be off. As for suspension, the OEM setup on the R6 was fantastic (if you're under 180lbs). I rode my buddies 06 on the track with the bone stock suspension, actually it still has the bone stock suspension (except now we set the sag to match his current weight) and it's a missile on the track. remember, 80% rider, 20% machine.

·
ヤマハ for life
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am 5' 11" and just around 180lbs. I am sure it is me and not the bike, but does anyone know what the tire pressure should be at so I can check it to make sure? It doesn't feel like that going to the left, only to the right so I don't think that is it. I did have shifted vertebrae in my upper neck which was pinching nerves in my right shoulder and down my right arm, so maybe that side is still a little tense.

-Andrew

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use to worry about tyre pressures and such, but after the last couple track days havent even bothered with them. Couple of mates were all worried, trying to get proper pressures. I find my bike rides sweet so didnt bother to change it, but i checked out of curiosity. I had 49 PSI in the rear and 37PSI up front when hot. People couldnt believe it. It felt fine for me, it is a mentality, but if its to low can feel like your riding on marbles...

People dont like right handers as it screws with your throttle manipulation, left handers are easier as you can be alot smoother cause you're not cramped up trying to be smooth on the gas. Practice is all thats gonna help. I personally like right handers, but left handers feel like im riding 'smoother'

·
ヤマハ for life
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for the input. I have been practicing more and I think I got over it. The videos helped a lot. My body positioning was not right when I was going to the right and even a bit to the left. Now I am way more comfortable going either way and I even was helping one of my friends get more comfortable too. Thanks again guys.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
with me, the thing with the right turn is the throttle i guess. since its on the right side i tend to be too consious about it and get nervous about over revving and laying the bike down. idk but im gettin over it and im riding much better now. Its good to ride with a few guys to watch what they do and tweak it a little for your own style and comfort level.

·
Registered
22 Posts
your tire pressures are usually set to manufacturer's recommendations per each brand of tire and model of tire, you can call a good tire vendor and they might know. Since you are probably riding mostly on the streets i wouldnt worry about your suspension so much just yet.

I was a student as California Superbike School and was told working on initiating counter steering inputs first then slowly work your body positioning....ever see a guy that's in a slow 35 mph turn but has half his body leaning off the bike and his knee so far out that he thinks he is going to drag it!! but yet the bike is almost vertical...unbelievable. This example is going to do the rider more harm than good...if you worry more about your body than the actually turning inputs and whats up ahead....well i dont have to tell you.

·
Custom User Title
1,827 Posts
I use to worry about tyre pressures and such, but after the last couple track days havent even bothered with them. Couple of mates were all worried, trying to get proper pressures. I find my bike rides sweet so didnt bother to change it, but i checked out of curiosity. I had 49 PSI in the rear and 37PSI up front when hot. People couldnt believe it. It felt fine for me, it is a mentality, but if its to low can feel like your riding on marbles...

People dont like right handers as it screws with your throttle manipulation, left handers are easier as you can be alot smoother cause you're not cramped up trying to be smooth on the gas. Practice is all thats gonna help. I personally like right handers, but left handers feel like im riding 'smoother'
this also depends on the type of tires.

personally, when i spend 400+ dollars on a set of DOT race rubber i want them to last as long as possible. the #1 thing you can do to help keep as much rubber on them as possible and wearing smoothly is tire pressure and suspension set up. why you WOULDN"T set the correct pressures is way beyond me. getting the correct pressures allows the tire to get the correct contact patch to be fast and have a tire last. ask any racer and all them set their tires to the correct pressure. i personally think you are a fool for not doing it, but if you want to waste your money that's fine by me.

·
Will Race for Food
136 Posts
One thing Ty doesn't cover in the video is how to lock in your body on the bike. I think that was the volunteer's problem of why he couldn't get set properly on the motorcycle.

When coming into a turn you want to get planted on the motorcycle while doing all the things Ty described. On your outside leg you want to be on the balls of your feet pushing on the peg to get your outside knee into the tank. You want to have your outside heel locked on the heel guard. The outside arm you want to have under the crease on the side of the tank. (the rear crease is for your knee the front one is for your arm to go under). If it is comofortable for you put your butt against the back of the seat (I don't do this but others swear by it), put the edge of your stomach on the edge of the tank.

Having all these contact points on the motorcycle makes you planted and keeps you from having to hold your upper body up with your arms. This allows you to always be light on the inputs.

Guys from the east coast, I'm happy to work with you. I'm one of the coaches with TPM. I was at Pocono yesterday and my next event is going to be Sept 8th at NJMP Thunderbolt. Happy to help.

Dave Z

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
The left right tun thing is definetly a mental block. I to have had a similar issue. You really have to force your self to think otherwise. The front end tuck feeling you are talking about is most likley a tire issue. Mine always seemed to do it going left. The difference was the way I was riding the bike going left verses right, and running tire pressures that were less than optimal. I forced myself into a new riding style that made doing left turns and right turns easier to do for me ( the same way every time ). I also changed to a different tire and now the problem is gone. My avatar shows the current riding style that i'm working with. only now ive moved my head further to the edge of the bike and my knee is not protruding as far out. kinda like casey stoner only i'm further away from the tank so I am more spread out. I guess it could be more like Hopper as well. This pic is similar to the style I have but i'm not dragging elbow yet.

that is what I shoot for. I stick my knee out a little more than that and it touches every now and then. A lot less now than I used to. But it helped my left right transition, and I feel just as confident going either direction. ther is a little less motion around the bike with this style. You are moving your upper body more, but it is easier than your butt and everything else with it. I spend less time worrying about where my body is at cause I spend less time moving it. If my head is not were I want it at first no big deal just move it while coming into the turn. The style is similar to that of hook steering. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts