Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to hear from the more experienced guys about any step by step procedures for learning a new bike at the track. I am pretty familiar with the track I am going to and have decent lines, obviously my braking points may change some. Basic suspension setting will already be dialed in for my weight. I plan to take it easy for a the first few sessions, probably keep it in 2/3 gear for a while just getting a feel for things.

What else should I do? I'd like to be more systematic about my approach than I have been in the past. I've become comfortable with my Triumph but honestly this will be the first time throwing a leg over a R6:dunce:

PS I bought the bike front a expert racer who has it set up (at least for his style) at this track so gearing for example should be set....hopefully lol

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
Take it easy to start, ride about 70% pace and continue to up your pace as you become comfortable with the dynamics of the new bike.

·
Reads the rulez
2,236 Posts
Most track day organizations usually have 3 groups, beginner, intermediate, fast mo-fo's...if you're running a middle group class, I'd even ask if you can run the first session of the day in the beginner group. It would take a lot of mental stress off me, anyways. You'll learn a ton about the bike in just a session.

Learning a new bikes habits is just like learning a new girlfriend. Yeah, she may look a little different, may feel a bit lighter or heavier...but the controls are all the same.

;)

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Most track day organizations usually have 3 groups, beginner, intermediate, fast mo-fo's...if you're running a middle group class, I'd even ask if you can run the first session of the day in the beginner group. It would take a lot of mental stress off me, anyways. You'll learn a ton about the bike in just a session.

Learning a new bikes habits is just like learning a new girlfriend. Yeah, she may look a little different, may feel a bit lighter or heavier...but the controls are all the same.

;)
lmao! :D

Yeah It should be open sessions with a pretty empty track due to the colder temps and should be plenty of fast guys to tow me around.

I guess I always feel like I'm thinking about to many things every time I'm out there. My BP, my lines, braking point, is the bike tracking the way I want, hows the front end feel, is the rear slideing, were can I role on throttle ect, so like 5-6 things when really my brain is only good for about 1 thing at a time:dunce:. I guess I just wish I could prioritize better. I know my BP is shyte so I will be working on being more consistant with that. A big part of this weekend is to get a subjective feel for the Yami VS the Triumph and of course shave 10 seconds of my lap times :YEA

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,747 Posts
if you can't afford to fix a bike you crash at the track, dont ride it. Or tip toe around like I did on my buddies S1000RR with all the bells and whistles. This one has more on it then his HP4 he just got :fact

·
Reads the rulez
2,236 Posts
lmao! :D

Yeah It should be open sessions with a pretty empty track due to the colder temps and should be plenty of fast guys to tow me around.

I guess I always feel like I'm thinking about to many things every time I'm out there. My BP, my lines, braking point, is the bike tracking the way I want, hows the front end feel, is the rear slideing, were can I role on throttle ect, so like 5-6 things when really my brain is only good for about 1 thing at a time:dunce:. I guess I just wish I could prioritize better. I know my BP is shyte so I will be working on being more consistant with that. A big part of this weekend is to get a subjective feel for the Yami VS the Triumph and of course shave 10 seconds of my lap times :YEA
I get the same way. I usually only focus on one group every session - braking points, rolling on the throttle quicker, passing, etc. I can also only process one thought at a time. Gotta follow the KISS principle. Always. :lmao

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you can't afford to fix a bike you crash at the track, dont ride it. Or tip toe around like I did on my buddies S1000RR with all the bells and whistles. This one has more on it then his HP4 he just got :fact

Oh I crash and fix every weekend it feels like lol, I'd just like to feel like I'm progressing instead of crashing all the time with no improvment. Sweet bike though, rode a S1000RR at Code's school-LOVED it

·
Registered
28 Posts
I feel ya. I started riding track on my 600rr and I LOVE everything about how it feels. I'm building an R6 as a dedicated track bike currently so I'm definitely nervous about how it's going to turn out since I've never been on an outside of an 05s.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts

:eek5:eek:oh:eek:oh:eek:oh:eek5

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Just go out and have fun Leif! You talking about February when we're all going out, or before then?

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just go out and have fun Leif! You talking about February when we're all going out, or before then?
This january TD, weekend after this. You gonna make it? I'd love to have you out there to help me learn the Yami since you've built one :love

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
to the original poster in regard to the gearing being set up.. no, it likely isn't .. for YOU that is. He was/is an expert racer. Likely pretty darn fast, especially compared to a track day rider. Gearing that he used will likely not work as well for you at the same track.
Think about it. He is doing lap times considerably faster. how? More lean angle, faster corner speed, longer on the gas before shutting off, etc.
SO! all things equal, you would likely need a little larger rear sprocket or you are going to be too low in the rpm range in most cases.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
This january TD, weekend after this. You gonna make it? I'd love to have you out there to help me learn the Yami since you've built one :love
I honestly doubt it man. I'd love to come, but it's snowing this week... and I doubt I'll have a ride by next weekend... Otherwise I'd be down to come out. We'll see what happens next week. If the weather turns and I can get myself out there I'd love to kick off this year! I guess we'll play it by ear and I'll let you know...

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
to the original poster in regard to the gearing being set up.. no, it likely isn't .. for YOU that is. He was/is an expert racer. Likely pretty darn fast, especially compared to a track day rider. Gearing that he used will likely not work as well for you at the same track.
Think about it. He is doing lap times considerably faster. how? More lean angle, faster corner speed, longer on the gas before shutting off, etc.
SO! all things equal, you would likely need a little larger rear sprocket or you are going to be too low in the rpm range in most cases.
Just ask Melk-Man what gearing he uses:sing
Good point, he and I are basically twins I'm sure:sing

So Mr MELK you make a good point, I'd assume my goal then should be to carry as much cornor speed as possible as well and getting back on it as early as possible to not lose the drive? (i'll build up to this of course). I may have to regear but this is as good a starting point as any. Or I'll just shift from 1st to 0, the little known 7th gear :lmao

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Just ask Melk-Man what gearing he uses:sing
"you can't HANDLE my gearing".. LOL (in my A Few Good Men Jack Nicholas voice) .. and you better accept my "friend request" from Facebook dude..

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

So Mr MELK you make a good point, I'd assume my goal then should be to carry as much cornor speed as possible as well and getting back on it as early as possible to not lose the drive? (i'll build up to this of course). I may have to regear but this is as good a starting point as any. Or I'll just shift from 1st to 0, the little known 7th gear :lmao
yes, give it a shot. No point in spending money till ya know what direction to go. I have no idea of how fast/slow the guy you got the bike from is.. if he were an east coast club racer i likely would know who it is.
I will say this, if you ARE going racing, ya need to get a few sprockets. I suggest a 15/16/17 front, and a 42-48 rear. I use smaller than that occasionally but this will get ya started.
STOCK GEARING will work quite well at many tracks.. so in addition to whatever is on there, 16/45 is a very good ratio to get

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

the best advice on gearing I could give, and I heard it alot from guys much faster than me as i started (and still do), use a gearing that gives you the best drive outa most corners. It will never be perfect, and it will need to CHANGE as your pace improves, often over a single weekend. HP can dictate gearing, the tire size (180 vs 190), amoung other things.
Don't assume you always need to use 6th gear either. It is not true that you "gear the bike to use the top of 6th on the longest straight" .. that is simply not always true.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts