Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright guys so i have had my 2001 r6 for about 2 months now, and i was interested in trying wheelies. A good friend of mine is one of the best riders i know, he can ride a wheelie for miles. He has been giving me pointers here and there but mainly he tells me "don't be scared, and just feel it." Obviously this isn't the best advice for a new rider that wants to learn wheelies. I have been watching a ton of tutorial videos. Downshift83 mainly helped me with my wheelies his vids are great. I can get the wheel off the ground no problem now comes the riding it part.

I will try to post some pics/vids of my wheelie progress and any thing i find tht helps me. Any positive feedback is more than welcome thanks guys.

O also i geared my bike so this helps. And for anyone else that has an older r6 i slip the clutch at about 6k rpms. I was reading some of the threads for newer bikes and guys are saying they slip it at like 10k. Glad i have an older r6.

Also i hear the BP on r6s are really high. Is this true? Can anyone by chance post a pic of their r6 at balance point...

Thanks guys

·
zomething different
8,430 Posts
being able to wheelie is not the mark of a good rider :fact

·
One wheel pimpin
321 Posts
Alright guys so i have had my 2001 r6 for about 2 months now, and i was interested in trying wheelies. A good friend of mine is one of the best riders i know, he can ride a wheelie for miles. He has been giving me pointers here and there but mainly he tells me "don't be scared, and just feel it." Obviously this isn't the best advice for a new rider that wants to learn wheelies. I have been watching a ton of tutorial videos. Downshift83 mainly helped me with my wheelies his vids are great. I can get the wheel off the ground no problem now comes the riding it part.

I will try to post some pics/vids of my wheelie progress and any thing i find tht helps me. Any positive feedback is more than welcome thanks guys.

O also i geared my bike so this helps. And for anyone else that has an older r6 i slip the clutch at about 6k rpms. I was reading some of the threads for newer bikes and guys are saying they slip it at like 10k. Glad i have an older r6.

Also i hear the BP on r6s are really high. Is this true? Can anyone by chance post a pic of their r6 at balance point...

Thanks guys
Are you talkin about street balance point or lot balance point, cause its a little different for each one. streets u gotta be JUST below it to keep momentum going, pretty much keeping the throttle at the same position and using the brakes to keep u from going past BP. lots is the same, except u ride idle right at BP or behind and use the brake to keep u there also.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Friend request Mr. Farmer.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Cage: Just get whatever is cheap. You can usually find a good deal on Craigslist.

I'm rocking a FI cage.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The balance point on a r6 is fairly high compared to other bikes. but once you hit it you will know. And as far as riding the actual wheelie. The more you practice the longer you will be able to hold it. You will learn to shift your body, use the brake etc to be able to hold it longer. Dont push yourself to fast and try to do highway standups with your buddy and get yourself hurt!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sick Innovations makes damn good cages. may look skimpy but they are extreamly good. Are you lookin to get a cage for street riding?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah i just want a little extra protection that i can still ride on the street, also what about ground clearance when cornering?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts