Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Should i learn how to wheelie BEFORE i get my 520 conversion kit or AFTER i install my conversion? :confused:

(i know theres tons of threads on learning wheelies and such, an how its all up to the rider) Well, i have been riding for 4 years now. This is my 2nd R6 (last one was a used 99) And never really attempted. Should i start as a power wheelie in 1st an go on from there? Or 2nd gear clutching it ?:(

Any help is appreciatted. I REALLY dont wanna flip my bike lol And i know some of u will say... "WELL THEN DONT TRY TO WHEELIE!!" So dont say it lol

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
go on youtube and search how to wheelie. theres plenty of videos that show the basics. use them and go from there

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the 520 conversion has nothing to do with the teeth count, its just the pitch of the chain and sprockets
Huh? I know the pitch of the new chain will be 520 ... but i thought it was -1, +2 with the sprockets as well? The vortex ones im ordering is -1 (15) front an +2 (47) rear. Will this not make my bike wanna jump more under acceleration? lol

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
520 doesnt have anything to do with the teeth count. you can order - 1 +2 . i'd stear clear of vortex. they have known to break teeth. some people have problems some dont.
I know 520 has nothing to do with teeth on sprockets. Usually with a sprocket change to -1 +2 u usually see the chain conversion as well. SO i was just stating 520 conversion KIT.

·
Registered
320 Posts
bump for what he meant to say, should we be learning wheelies with factory sprockets or is it ok to learn with -1/+2 sprockets? or will it be to jumpy?

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bump for what he meant to say, should we be learning wheelies with factory sprockets or is it ok to learn with -1/+2 sprockets? or will it be to jumpy?
Yea!! Exactly lol Thanks lol:popcorn: Now hope someone will answer :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the 520 conversion kit on my bike and It DEFINATELY helps with the wheelies and the acceleration. I wouldnt install it just yet.... get the hang of doing power wheelies and start to clutch wheelies up before. it helps if you are a little comfortable.

BTW a 520 conversion kit is -1/+2 sprocket count and pitch. there can be no 520 conversion kit without sprockets. good luck HB!!

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks bro! yeah man I just rev it a little before i actually start going and let the clutch out so by the time its actually engaged the front tire is up. if you have a 520 conversion its super easy otherwise with a stock set up its really gotta be higher RPMs. keep me updated on the progress guys!

·
Registered
320 Posts
thanks bro! yeah man I just rev it a little before i actually start going and let the clutch out so by the time its actually engaged the front tire is up. if you have a 520 conversion its super easy otherwise with a stock set up its really gotta be higher RPMs. keep me updated on the progress guys!
do you have a speedohealer? if so what % did you program it to. i used the online thing and did -15% that seam right?

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey HB this is my R6 with the 520 Conversion and just barely clutching it up while taking off........ let me know what you think bro.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=35765840
Nice video ... that rev sounds familiar ;) But im to much of a pussy to let the clutch go.

And what do u mean exactly lol Barely clutching it? So ur not fully closing it an lettin it open all within one motion? Ur releasing the clutch slowy? And was that in 1st?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I prefer the clutch. A lot more predictable. With stock gearing I was at like 9000 rpms, now with 1 tooth down in the front 6000 or so. Thinking about putting the back sprocket up 2, second gear wheelies are still a chore and I'm trying to get them going at higher rates of speed so that seems to be the choice. Can't afford a 1000 right now

·
Registered
25 Posts
silver 08 no i dont have a speedo healer yet...planning on getting one.

HB yeah if your rolling just pull the clutch in a tash so taht the bike dissengages and the RPMS can go up. and drop the clutch out and the front end should glide up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
what gear and rpms are we talkin here?
I'm in first when im doing this my video is on the first page.....thats what we were reffering to....first gear and then i let the RPMs go to about 4 and then i pop the clutch by the time the bike starts to roll the wheel is already up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts