Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get some leathers here by the end of the year. Anyways, I'm 6'0 and 155 soaking wet. I have a 39-40in shoulders and a 30in waist with a few small muscles. What company supplies the best leathers to fit my lanky / skinny body. I have been eyeballing the teknic ones but it seems that I would have alot of extra room in the midsection based on their sizing... could a shop do some alterations??

suggestions please.. thanks!

·
Track Day Junkie
594 Posts
You might be able to squeeze into the ones I have for sale. Might. They are Alpinestars size 38us/48euro.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I bought a set of Shift 1 Piece leathers on clearance for $216 BRAND NEW at Road Rider in San Jose. They did not have puck provisions so I got the tecknic velcro repair kit for $10 and bought some A*s pucks my buddy gave me. Getting the suit altered here in sacramento for the puck velcros cost me $40. I was in brand new, perforated, pucked shift leathers for less than $300 new. Shops can easily do alterations, cost dependent on the amount of work needed. I think that Road Rider may be near its clearance time again...

52,014 Posts
Dainese

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Maxxx, not everyone is made of cash buddy.... hey, I pmed you earlier with a couple of ?s... hoping for some input.

·
Hey Guy
5,294 Posts
It totally depends on what fits your body the best. Id say go to a shop and try on different suits until you find one that fits you.
Ive found that A*'s fits me the best. I am 5"10 165lbs. Short torso, long legs and arms.

52,014 Posts
Maxxx, not everyone is made of cash buddy.... hey, I pmed you earlier with a couple of ?s... hoping for some input.
I worked three jobs when I got my first Dainese suit, and waited for closeout pricing. Even then, I had to save up a little bit longer and give up pizza and beer during that time. Never regretted it though...

PM replied.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Give up pizza and beer... thats ...thats...rough man.... Dont let the king of beers hear you talking that way.

Got the pm, thanks bro. Talk to you 2morrrow...time to go home and beat my dog for eating my pumpkin's face off. Pictures tomorrow.

And no, I dont really beat my dog.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pizza and beer! ... over my dead body.. I'll just switch to Keystones :)

Yeah I got a A* jacket that is spot on... Time to take a trip to ATL

·
Until the day comes
580 Posts
Any decent company will work A*, teknic, dainese, komodo, moto gp

I would stay away from rocket, had two freinds both who had seems that busted just from normal wear.

Remember you get what you pay for, my buddy had a A* and tore that up and didn't have cash for another new A* so he got a teknic, he said he can tell the difference in quality.

Does it get him on the track yes, so it all depends what your willing to spend

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am similar to you, but little bigger in waist, legs, etc. (160, 5'11) The teknic fit me the best after trying several on. As others stated, try different ones. The ones that was cheaper did not fit me as well as the teknic, it was like they were made for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Leathers is a luck thing. As BT say's, you need to try them on. If one pair doesnt fit quite right, try a different set in the same size. Dont be scared to try bigger and smaller sets if the fit isnt quite right. My ex is a size 10 and she ended up with 8 trousers and a 14 jacket, yet she already had a size 10 jacket by the same make. We spent and just shoving her into matching jackets before we got some that fitted perfectly.
I have a really expensive set of Dainese which I use for touring and to be honest I dont rate them. They are cut beautifully and although if you had a biggy, they should save you, i reckon they will be trashed. maybe its just the set I have. Racers use them and they are very popular.
Tecknics i like.
Heine gerrick if you can get them are great VFM.
Alpinestars again, great cut and good quality but you pay for the name.
Over here you can get Made to Measure race suits cheaper than top of the range Dainese or Alpinestars and they are 3 to 4 times as good.
I was at last years Trade show and the AGV suits looked superb
Just go round and try what you like.
Try and get soft armour. Make sure you get a correctly sized back protector under your suit. The suit should be a firm fit with little or no baggy sections.
advisable to wear an undersuit or thermals as you can slide in and out of the suits and they hold sweat in the material rather than it soaking into the leathers.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
got a joe rocket gpx-r one piece. 165 lbs 6ft 1/2 in tall. but what do i know i tryed it on at the stealership. sat onna bike and went with it. whatever feels good they run a little small i got a sze 46 cause i got junk in the front. the crotch fet lil snug. good seams and the got good reviews

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
It's well worth the extra money to have a custom suit made. In my experience very few people actually fit off the rack sizes properly. A suit that fits correctly will do a better job protecting you and will feel much better to ride in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts