Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone found or use any LEDs that work with the stock 2nd-Gen turn signal sockets?

The sockets on the motorcycle have much tighter tolerances than those you'd find on a car; likely to keep them in place with extreme vibrations. The plastic base on many options are too thick for the motorcycle sockets.

Roughly three years ago I had tried something like these...
Azure Water Font Sky Art

...but the sockets wouldn't accept them. Significantly shaving them down befpre forcing them in, nearly irreparably damaged a socket by knocking the contacts out of place. I narrowly avoided having to replace that socket.

But lately during the day I've noticed, some drivers seem to have issues seeing turn-sig flash from the stock halogen bulb. One practically blocked my path because he assumed I was heading straight. Simple solution would be the much brighter LED.

Obviously I'm looking to keep the stock equipment; which has several advantages versus the aftermarket I've seen. I'm not into the flush-mounts and the stalks I've seen appear small, cheap/cheasy.

I know there are LEDs that embed the resistor now, but also don't mind having to add a resistor independently. (the aftermarket turn-sig relay flasher would flash okay at 12.6 battery level but slightly faster at higher voltages - too fast for the animated rear turn sig)

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, dual-filament or dual brightness is required on the front, as they serve as running lights also. The rear do not require dual filament/brightness. You can tell one bulb type from the other by checking for the number of contact pins. If it only has two contact pins, it is single filament/brightness. Any more than two, it will be dual filament/brightness.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went back, unfolded the pins/wires to move them out of the way, then used a grinder to shave the base way down. (it would've taken FOREVER to shave them down using a hand-file) Then I folded the pins/wires back down into place on the now flat-face. They fit without damaging the sockets now; yet still fit tightly enough to not wiggle out of place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts