Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make some custom flushmount turn signals for my '99 R6.

They will be something very similar to Gregg's Custom Flushmounts:
http://www.greggscustoms.com/r69902.htm

Someone is probably going to post, "Why dont you just buy them from Gregg's?" Well, they are $110 and I can make something similar for far cheaper. I work at a fabrication shop so I can easily mill a piece of aluminum to sit flush with the fairing. My only problem is that I dont know too much about LED's.

So, a couple of questions:

1. What kind (please give me all the relevant details) of LED should I buy and where should I get it? I would like them fairly bright.

2. Do LED's wire up just like ordinary bulbs or is there anything special I have to do?

3. I want these to function as running lights as well as turn signals. The stock setup uses a dual filament bulb. Is there anywhere to do this without using a dual LED setup (I think this would look kind of tacky)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also wanted to add that I will not be making these to sell. This will be a one-off piece for my bike. However, once I'm done, I will be happy to share with the forum exactly how I did it so that someone with access to some fabrication equipment could make some for themselves.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
you could mount 6 2.1volt leds like this and wire it up in a series. take a look on ebay for leds. i got a bunch of them from there for doing the rear peg turn signal mod. but the only thing you might have to figure out how are you going to "aim" the leds. hope it helps.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
1) this is what i got from the guy i bought my leds from on ebay. but try to look for some orange, this specs is for the red.

Product Description :

Emitted Colour : ULTRA RED
Size (mm) : 5mm T1 3/4
Lens Colour : Water Clear
Peak Wave Length (nm) : 640 ~ 645
Forward Voltage (V) : 1.8 ~ 2.2
Reverse Current (uA) : <=30
Luminous Intensity Typ Iv (mcd) : Average in 6000
Life Rating : 100,000 Hours
Viewing Angle : ±10°
Absolute Maximum Ratings (Ta=25°C)

Max Power Dissipation : 80mw
Max Continuous Forward Current : 30mA
Max Peak Forward Current : 75mA
Reverse Voltage : 5~6V
Lead Soldering Temperature : 240°C (<5Sec)
Operating Temperature Range : -25°C ~ +85°C
Preservative Temperature Range : -30°C ~ +100°C

2) the only way special way to wire it is first on the 6 leds. solder it in a series. then just add your power and ground wires. it would be better to insulate the soldered connections at the custom housing you are gonna fabricate. i use silicone, gm uses it on there MAF sensors so it should be sufficient.

3) you could always use the 5 prong relay method. the diagram is is somewhere in this forum. if i find it i will post it.

i hope all this info helps. if you do make these and sell them. post up some pics and prices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the help. That looks really good. Did you do that yourself?

I tried searching Ebay for LED's and I found a bunch of them. The only problem is I dont really know what to look for when I'm looking in the specs column.

For example, here is a chart:
SOURCE MATERIAL:InGaN
EMITTING COLOUR:AMBER
LENS TYPE:WATER CLEAR
LUMINOUS INTENSITY-MCD:3000 TYPICAL/4000MAX
REVERSE VOLTAGE:5.0 V
DC FORWARD VOLTAGE:1.7V TYPICAL
DC FORWARD CURRENT:20~30mA
VIEWING ANGLE:15
LEAD SOLDERING TEMP:260oC for 5 seconds

Would these work?
So in this case, are these 1.7V LED's?
Would this mean that I would have to mount 7 LED's in a series to work with our 12V electrical system?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
it should work. i would look for something a bit more brighter. look in the LUMINOUS INTENSITY-MCD:3000 TYPICAL/4000MAX spec. i would go with 6000 mcd. i believe the max voltage on that is like 2.2 volts anyway. i got the leds with the above specs i posted. i never had a problem....... yet.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts