Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make some custom flushmount turn signals for my '99 R6.

They will be something very similar to Gregg's Custom Flushmounts:
http://www.greggscustoms.com/r69902.htm

Someone is probably going to post, "Why dont you just buy them from Gregg's?" Well, they are $110 and I can make something similar for far cheaper. I work at a fabrication shop so I can easily mill a piece of aluminum to sit flush with the fairing. My only problem is that I dont know too much about LED's.

So, a couple of questions:

1. What kind (please give me all the relevant details) of LED should I buy and where should I get it? I would like them fairly bright.

2. Do LED's wire up just like ordinary bulbs or is there anything special I have to do?

3. I want these to function as running lights as well as turn signals. The stock setup uses a dual filament bulb. Is there anywhere to do this without using a dual LED setup (I think this would look kind of tacky)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also wanted to add that I will not be making these to sell. This will be a one-off piece for my bike. However, once I'm done, I will be happy to share with the forum exactly how I did it so that someone with access to some fabrication equipment could make some for themselves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the help. That looks really good. Did you do that yourself?

I tried searching Ebay for LED's and I found a bunch of them. The only problem is I dont really know what to look for when I'm looking in the specs column.

For example, here is a chart:
SOURCE MATERIAL:InGaN
EMITTING COLOUR:AMBER
LENS TYPE:WATER CLEAR
LUMINOUS INTENSITY-MCD:3000 TYPICAL/4000MAX
REVERSE VOLTAGE:5.0 V
DC FORWARD VOLTAGE:1.7V TYPICAL
DC FORWARD CURRENT:20~30mA
VIEWING ANGLE:15
LEAD SOLDERING TEMP:260oC for 5 seconds

Would these work?
So in this case, are these 1.7V LED's?
Would this mean that I would have to mount 7 LED's in a series to work with our 12V electrical system?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.