Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought my gear for my first time I wasn't 100% sure what to look for.

I ended up buying some spiffy bionic knee guards. They're cool and all, but I'm wondering if I should trade them in for a pair of riding pants. Also, kneed guards don't really protect your hips, which seem like they'd take a lot of damage in an accident/road rash.

My thought process was I could put them on/off and not have to change pants wherever I go. But so far I've only worn them for nights I go riding instead of for casual riding. Curious for everyone's input.

Trade in knee guards?
Get riding pants? (recommendations?)
Stick with guards and forget about pants?
Pie? (not an option, but pie is good)

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Holy crap you're fast. Irrelevant, but fast!
A full suit is the best protection, You can buy quality leather pants which is like basically having a 2 piece suit.

Mesh/textile pants don't hold up so well but they are better than just knee pads.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
The only problem is that leather anything doesn't breathe and here in AZ it gets hawt!
Well, that is your choice then. But leather is the best protection........PERIOD.

You can do some high quality textile for pants. It'll do, but it won't be leathers.

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
Perforated leather breathes and it breathes quite well. In less you sit in stop and go traffic leathers are comfortable in the heat. Honestly i'll trade a little sweat from time to time for the peace of mind that my skin will be intact if I go down.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Yup Perferated Leathers are your friend. I live in FL (hot here too) and I don't ride w/o leathers now. I have one set Perferated, (for hot days) and one set Not Perferated (for those chillier days)

Leather is the BEST thing out there man .... Just take the hit, sweat your arse off if you have to, and put on the leather suit my friend!

To quote a good man ...

SUIT UP!!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Leathers are the best w/o a doubt.

There are a few things short of full leathers that you can use on the street. I know A* makes some compression shorts with padding for your hips and ass

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What cost am I looking at? Can anyone post up some examples of perforated leathers? (Maybe to a shopping site)

I've done most of my shopping at Cycle Gear. I didn't know what to look for at the time.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Perforated leather breathes and it breathes quite well. In less you sit in stop and go traffic leathers are comfortable in the heat. Honestly i'll trade a little sweat from time to time for the peace of mind that my skin will be intact if I go down.
Yup Perferated Leathers are your friend. I live in FL (hot here too) and I don't ride w/o leathers now. I have one set Perferated, (for hot days) and one set Not Perferated (for those chillier days)

Leather is the BEST thing out there man .... Just take the hit, sweat your arse off if you have to, and put on the leather suit my friend!

To quote a good man ...

SUIT UP!!!
Leathers are the best w/o a doubt.
^^^ This

Brand new youre looking at about the $1k range for a good suit...

But look on the WERA forums or here or even craigslist for a used suit...you can get a pretty good deal from time to time...

I got my RC-1 off this site for $500 and it still had the tags/A*bag and hanger with it...

Just gotta look...

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Here is a link to one of the best sportbike gear websites that i know of. I am not going to tell you where everything is (not to be a dick head, but to make you look through them all and see what you like, or need)

http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead.com/Leather_suits_home.html

Here are some pics of my two suits to help you understand what Perforated is. (pretty much just tiny holes strategically placed in the suit to keep you cool)

My AXO suit... NOT perforated in the chest

Close up...

and it IS perforated in the arms ... Close up

This is my A Star suit. It IS Perforated in the chest...

Close up

is NOT perforated in the arms ... Close up

I hope that this has helped a little

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It does help, but I'm a bit confused by some people's recommendations.

I don't track my bike (yet), I'm working on converting it to my daily driver. I just want some good leg protection should anything happen on my way to the bank, or on my way to work.

I think a full suite may be a bit difficult to get in and out of if I were to just take my bike to visit friends.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
It does help, but I'm a bit confused by some people's recommendations.

I don't track my bike (yet), I'm working on converting it to my daily driver. I just want some good leg protection should anything happen on my way to the bank, or on my way to work.

I think a full suite may be a bit difficult to get in and out of if I were to just take my bike to visit friends.
Get some quality padded, perforated leather pants.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts