Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO NOT hook your helmet to the hook under the rear seat and ride with it! I made the mistake and decided to take my helmet off and ride with glasses since I was only cruising along the gulf on my bike. Needless to say my seat popped off and my helmet went tumbling across the road. Luckly it didn't cause a wreck or do much damage. Just a few scratches that add character now to my helmet. Oh...and the fact that I now have to order a new chrome shield. My advice...use the bungee net method.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i dont know about this hook under my seat(maybe cause i have an undertail kit?) but i strap the helmet to the band that goes across the seat. i dont know if this is the same thing youre talking about, but nothing has happend so far.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Dude, your helmet has become a trophy... cuz all its good for now is to look at :poke

I sure as hell wouldn't wear it....

·
Registered
270 Posts
That sucks. Usually the seat doesn't pop off if it's secure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i had my rear seat come off the other day..........i never had that prob b4. i was riding on the interstate and all of a sudden i feel this thing hitting me in my back and it was the rear seat........i grabbed from behind my back and almost lost it again bringing it around to the front of me cuz a gust of wind caught it..........
from now on i always wiggle the seat to make sure it is completely locked in it position.

too bad about your helmet, im not sure if i would wear it anymore after an impact like that..........they say it is only good once. i dont know what i would do in your situation........i wear an old helmet with scratches on it right now anyway but am looking for a new one. on the other we are talking about protection of our melons here........so a slightly used helmet is better than no helmet in my eyes..........good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
That helmet is done..............get a new one. Any impact to a helmet weakens it's structural integrity. Next impact, it may just crumble.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the thing was, i was only going maybe 10 mph tops...it was a brick road, which was why i was going slower, just out sight seeing...i've done more damage to a helmet by losing grip of it while carrying it. So i don't think it's been harmed, just a few scratches through the stickers

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone know what those bungee straps are for under the rear seat, besides the one that holds the tool kit? i had the helmet hooked to an actual hook thats molded into the bottom of the rear seat, i beleive the manual recommended that way. not sure though

·
Registered
182 Posts
udh2oskier said:
the thing was, i was only going maybe 10 mph tops...it was a brick road, which was why i was going slower, just out sight seeing...i've done more damage to a helmet by losing grip of it while carrying it. So i don't think it's been harmed, just a few scratches through the stickers

They say to replace any helmet that's been dropped on a hard surface from 2ft' or higher. At least get it X-rayed and check for cracks. Theres a thread going on here somewhere about the structual integrity of motorcycle helmets and when to replace them...

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
RideMyAssOff said:
That helmet is done..............get a new one. Any impact to a helmet weakens it's structural integrity. Next impact, it may just crumble.
yep, i posted something up before from HJC's wesbsite saying even a drop from a height of 3-4 feet straight down is enough to ruin the intregity of the helmet since they are designed to absorb and disappate the crach energy. i think a fall from the bike seat thats about 3 foot high at 10mph and tumbling across the street would be enough to compromise it. But it is your melon and I'm not going to tell you what to do when it comes to your body but i know what I would do in your situation.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the information. Just one thing, that another $400 and I don't really have that right now. So I'll have to live with what I got for now, my spare has even been dropped on my garage floor, so it's in the same shape.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
believe me man, i know about money being tight. I got the helmet below from this place. The rest of the AC-11 line is here. its a very comfy helmet and has excellent ventilation too. can be a little noisy at speed in the wind when you raise up from behind the windscreen but its not bad at all. Check thier prices, I think you might like them for some of the other helmets in this line.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
udh2oskier said:
thanks for the information. Just one thing, that another $400 and I don't really have that right now. So I'll have to live with what I got for now, my spare has even been dropped on my garage floor, so it's in the same shape.
If you cant afford a new helmet you cant afford to ride. Hang up your keys and save your pennies until you can afford a new one.

HJC makes a great helmet and they are mostly under 200 bucks.

Like mentioned above, helmets are good for "one use". A drop and roll from your bike at 10 mph certainly constitutes as a "use".

Seriously, dont ride with that helmet on any more, if you crash, there is a chance that the thing will just split in two leaving your noggin to be ground down by the pavement...yuk!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
money isn't an issue, it just sucks cause i just bought the damn thing...i just now began wearing one since moving from ohio to florida. i know i'm a dumbass for not wearing one, but when you only ride every so often just putttin around, you don't think you need it. just need to find one now that's comfortable in this damn 93 degree weather in florida.

·
Registered
524 Posts
udh2oskier said:
money isn't an issue, it just sucks cause i just bought the damn thing...i just now began wearing one since moving from ohio to florida. i know i'm a dumbass for not wearing one, but when you only ride every so often just putttin around, you don't think you need it. just need to find one now that's comfortable in this damn 93 degree weather in florida.
Please wear your helmet at all times man. It's unbeleivable how easily the human skull can crack open. Low speed impacts without a helmet can cause severe head trauma. I've gone down on street bikes and dirt bikes and I've smacked my head on the ground HARD, but with a helmet on and I was fine.

I know we all sound like your mom or something but we're not trying to lecture, we're just trying to watch out for our fellow rider. I wouldn't wear one unless I had no choice, but you might want to consider one of those "brain buckets" like the Harley guys wear, for those times when you'd like to go helmet-free.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I shake my head in disbelief when I see a guy riding down the street with his helmet strapped to the back of his bike. I had the "pleasure" of being at the scene of a motorcycle fatality where a guy made a left turn in front of some old man. It was a simple 25mph crash. He died of head trama. His wife and duaghter drove by and recognized his bike. They jumped out of the car screaming about his $500 helmet sitting at home on the coffee table. I'll NEVER forget it. Wear your fucking helmet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i went out on my lunch and purchased a new helmet...i bought the new KBC helmet, maybe this time I'll wear it and not strap the damn thing on my bike

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Thank you for being smart enough to get a new one, and wearing it when you ride.

I'll always keep my stance on this. People who ride without a helmet are just plain stupid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts