Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
the RSC system works great. The first thing i would suggest you do rather than dump the money into parts is to just lube the shit out of the clutch cable. I did that and mine is easy as can be to pull with some cheapo ebay levers.

Go read this post:
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4618482&postcount=52

I used left over motor oil. Works fine.

If that doesnt work, just get one of those hand squeeze things and strengthen your hand.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the RSC system works great. The first thing i would suggest you do rather than dump the money into parts is to just lube the shit out of the clutch cable. I did that and mine is easy as can be to pull with some cheapo ebay levers.

Go read this post:
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4618482&postcount=52

I used left over motor oil. Works fine.

If that doesnt work, just get one of those hand squeeze things and strengthen your hand.
Just read it, happens I have all the supplied needed.

So you're saying I can just inject lube into the top part of the clutch without having to take off the bottom fairing and remove the entire clutch cable!?

But I am assuming you'll have to take it off the lever(the cable)?

I will def. lube her up before buying anything. THANKS! :toocool:

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
You have to remove it from the clutch lever, and it isnt a bad idea to zip tie a rag around the bottom opening. If you squirt a shitload in there, some of it WILL drip out. Leave that rag there for a minute and then just put it under that spot and the oil will drip right onto there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, inject the oil into that hole slowly. If you try going too fast, the oil will back up and make a mess. It takes some time to do, but it works great.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, I just removed the nut underneath the clutch lever but the bolt won't budge(I cant remove it).

Any ideas or tips? I hope the previous owner didn't glue that shit in there. -_-

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok done lubing it, but it didnt do anything..

I guess I am going to go ahead and order one of those RSC levers..

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I've got a RSC lever. Love it. A lot easier to pull.

Attachments

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Hmm, I just removed the nut underneath the clutch lever but the bolt won't budge(I cant remove it).

Any ideas or tips? I hope the previous owner didn't glue that shit in there. -_-
Next time, skip the nut. In a little while, i will have a video up showing the easy way to remove the cable for lubing.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a RSC lever. Love it. A lot easier to pull.
Awesome, I am going to order mine this weekend.

Clutch Lever - Anodized/Polished Finish(INT)
Options: Full Length Lever w/ Bushing, Colors: Black Anodized, Sticker Color Choice: Black

(They also have the bearing option but I heard it doesnt make a difference and its just a wasted $10?)

Next time, skip the nut. In a little while, i will have a video up showing the easy way to remove the cable for lubing.
No worries, I found it on YouTube. Just have to line up all the grooves so the cable can come out.
I notice if you tighten the nut too much the lever wont pull at all. I think my entire clutch assembly part is trash, once the RSC arrives I should have no more issues with it.

Thanks again for the help! :)

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
No worries, I found it on YouTube. Just have to line up all the grooves so the cable can come out.
I notice if you tighten the nut too much the lever wont pull at all. I think my entire clutch assembly part is trash, once the RSC arrives I should have no more issues with it.

Thanks again for the help! :)
It very well could be that after 10 years, the stock clutch lever assembly had gone to shit.

Anyway, since I was already making the videos, here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8CYxcF5_ZM

In this one, you can see that I had trouble getting the adjuster to spin after putting the clutch cable back in. I had to pull the clutch to get the cable to be situated properly to get the adjuster turning again, and then it was easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKy1j8PkW3M

This one was just trying to show it a bit faster.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, I just found out the end the of my grip is stripped.. So I cannot remove the grip/turn signal box in order to install the RSC...

Any ideas on how I can get this removed? This pisses me off.

Once I get it off I think I'll buy new ones or after market ones. Recommend anything or should I stick to OEM? Also, what are some good grips? My OEM ones are completely used up.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It very well could be that after 10 years, the stock clutch lever assembly had gone to shit.

Anyway, since I was already making the videos, here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8CYxcF5_ZM

In this one, you can see that I had trouble getting the adjuster to spin after putting the clutch cable back in. I had to pull the clutch to get the cable to be situated properly to get the adjuster turning again, and then it was easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKy1j8PkW3M

This one was just trying to show it a bit faster.
Thanks, I'll check them out.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Wow, I just found out the end the of my grip is stripped.. So I cannot remove the grip/turn signal box in order to install the RSC...

Any ideas on how I can get this removed? This pisses me off.

Once I get it off I think I'll buy new ones or after market ones. Recommend anything or should I stick to OEM? Also, what are some good grips? My OEM ones are completely used up.
Ok...I was wrong. That will need removed if you care about the clutch perch. If you don't care about the perch, just remove the screw on there, bend/break the part that loops around, and then install the RSC. If you want to save the perch, get yourself a big set of channel locks, clamp down good on the bar end(note: this will most likely cause some small damage to the bar end), and use that to give a good twist to start unscrewing it. If you want to try to minimize the damage, you can try wrapping some rubber gloves around the bar end, first.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought in order to remove the entire clutch you have to slide it off the handle bar.. The RSC can be installed without sliding it on. (It has a bracket)

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
If you plan on replacing the bar ends, just get a set of channel locks

Clamp down on the bar end, and then twist counterclockwise(righty tighty, left loosey). It should break free and then you should be able to unscrew it by hand. That was what I had to do with mine in the past.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going to try it right now.. lol

I noticed there are cables attached the the "turn signal box", will this be an issue when sliding it off the handlebar? The electric cables are very short.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I have never had to remove that, but if they are too short, you can always just remove the clip on from the bar, twist it around, and slide it off so you don't have to move the box very much.

To remove the clip on, there should just be an allen bolt on the top of the bar, and then one or two on side of the bar facing the front. Just remove those and it should slide off, if i remember right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts