Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you ride?
Close to the vehicle, or far away from the vehicle?

I see a lot of riders (instinctively) riding far away from the vehicle.

I've even watched a few get cut-off.

In my opinion, the "right" way has its drawbacks as well. But my car has integrated blind spot mirrors.... (image link below)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/96/db/b2/96dbb262d5965ad2b9cb0115fd94d29e.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it really depends on traffic, and probably experience of the rider. (Hence reaction time). I try to keep at least 2-3 seconds behind, will change spots middle to left few times so the driver can see me.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
on my scooter I look at the rearviews... if they light up I stay there just to annoy the driver... but most times I just motor around cars with impunity.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If 1 lane, then behind left or right rear mirror depending on curve or other conditions.
If 2 lanes, behind left mirror of vehicle if in leftmost lane, right mirror if in rightmost lane.
If > 2 lanes and in a middle lane, then out of there as soon as feasible to be on the leftmost or rightmost lanes.
More speed means leave more Distance to vehicle in front.

Do not ride side-by-side with any vehicle including other motorcycles, move up or behind so I can be next to the front/rear space between them.

When around a semi, large truck or bus, gtfo either faster or slower, whatever it takes to be elsewhere. Same if a tailgater is minding my business.

Choose lane and position to put another vehicle between me and the left turners.

Attention out forward 2secs, 8secs, 12secs

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good responses.

I also run both lamps at all times. They high beam can either be aimed down, or the top portion of the outer lens taped-off. The stock projector lamps have aftermarket LEDs headlights in them. (search the forum for "LED cap adapters")

Being on the outside of the lane, riding well away from the vehicle and spending too much time trying to traverse a blind spot, is the most common mistake that I observe.

Following the K.I.S.S. principle...

In order to spend the LEAST amount of time traversing the blind spot, I ride close to the vehicle. So that means I'm very close the broken white line. Spend time approaching the blind spot. Minimize (within reason) time traversing it.

I too spend as little time as is necessary in the middle lanes; either sticking to the far left or far right.

Most people do not want to hit others. Obviously, watch for and stay away from rapid lane changers. Be prepared to get out of the way if they start a lane change while you're traversing the blind spot. Riding close means are more likely to be seen, but this also means there is much/i] less time to get out of the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts