Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been noticing that my stock clutch lever is a really far reach for me and I noticed that I need to squeeze it at least half way before engaging the clutch to shift gears. Also I have my been noticing that my left wrist hurts and it could be due to the angle of it (I may have to loosen the bolts and lower the angle?)

If I get one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Brake-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d521f776d&vxp=mtr

Will this eliminate the far reach?

Are these levers good? If not, which ones do you recommend?

I have a 2nd gen r6. If I get a new clutch lever I will probably get a new brake lever as well(even though the brake is fine).

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
cant recall your year model r6 but cant you adjust the slack on the clutch cable?? i had that problem when my r6 was new, the clutch engaged half way in, adjusted it and it almost immediately engaged...but those levers are just ebay reps they do the job i had them on my r6 and the only problem i had was discoloring/fading..other than that they did their job but you can look into asv, crg, pazzo levers etc.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
There are some good videos on YouTube by Dave Moss that talk about how to dial in your controls for better comfort, reachability, etc. If you're looking something cheap for levers price wise and adjustable those should do the trick. If you're looking for levers with bit better quality or something closer to stock length but not that long with adjustability check out Vortex levers. ChiefSmokeDawg on here is a forum vendor and can get you squared away with a nice set at a great price.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys!

I want levers that last forever and do not fade.

Ill look into the vortex levers and msg ChiefSmokeDawg when I am closer to making a decision.

I am going to adjust the angle of the clutch right now to make it more comfortable for my wrist.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys!

I want levers that last forever and do not fade.

Ill look into the vortex levers and msg ChiefSmokeDawg when I am closer to making a decision.

I am going to adjust the angle of the clutch right now to make it more comfortable for my wrist.
I know my cheapo ebay levers have lasted really well, but they HAVE faded a little. Honestly, I didnt even notice they had faded until i bumped one of the little adjusters on there one day. I moved it and the black under the adjuster was a lot darker than the faded black on the rest of the lever. As far as if it would stop me from buying them again, hell no. I am more than happy with them.

Your bike is going to be a different to find levers for, though. The 05 model came with the radial master. I did a quick check on the part numbers, and yours uses the same part numbers as the 06+ R6(NOT R6S) models. If you are looking for levers just look for the 06-15 models.

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts
I may have a set of used ASV shortys for sale soon if I pull the trigger on a set of zeta racing levers. I have a brembo rcs for my front brake master now so my levers dont match and these guys sell levers that fit both. So as soon as they are on the way these will be for sale.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding the front brake... If I swap them out will I have to re bleed the front brake?.. Or is it actually just the lever that needs to be replaced?

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
OEM levers are the best. Tried aftermarket ones, gave up, went back to OEM. Way easier, dirt cheap, and never have a fitment problem.

Take a gander at the AMA bikes, and you can probably count on one hand how many people don't use OEM levers.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
I know my cheapo ebay levers have lasted really well, but they HAVE faded a little. Honestly, I didnt even notice they had faded until i bumped one of the little adjusters on there one day. I moved it and the black under the adjuster was a lot darker than the faded black on the rest of the lever. As far as if it would stop me from buying them again, hell no. I am more than happy with them.

Your bike is going to be a different to find levers for, though. The 05 model came with the radial master. I did a quick check on the part numbers, and yours uses the same part numbers as the 06+ R6(NOT R6S) models. If you are looking for levers just look for the 06-15 models.
mine went from black to a cool copper color :lmao

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OEM levers are the best. Tried aftermarket ones, gave up, went back to OEM. Way easier, dirt cheap, and never have a fitment problem.

Take a gander at the AMA bikes, and you can probably count on one hand how many people don't use OEM levers.
IDK, mine are super long and they look ridiculous.

Plus, I only use about 1/4 of the entire lever.. lol

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
IDK, mine are super long and they look ridiculous.

Plus, I only use about 1/4 of the entire lever.. lol
Using OEM levers over after markets has nothing to with looking cool, and has everything to do with being a perfect fit without suffering from what seems to appear to be brake fade, when actually it's the lack of precision machinery on the hole where the brake lever bolt goes, resulting in a shitty feel on the brake lever.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Using OEM levers over after markets has nothing to with looking cool, and has everything to do with being a perfect fit without suffering from what seems to appear to be brake fade, when actually it's the lack of precision machinery on the hole where the brake lever bolt goes, resulting in a shitty feel on the brake lever.
Yes, I agree. Functionality over looks any day.

My problem is that the clutch lever is to far away from the grip. Even when adjusting it in as far as possible. I need something that adjusts closer.

I might just replace the clutch lever and keep the brake lever unless it just looks terrible (wouldn't mind having the brake closer to the grip as well. I have fat hands that aren't super long) -Even though I'm not fat lol :toocool:

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I have PSR levers on both sides of my street and track bikes. They fit perfectly. They don't fade. They have 5 settings. I adjust them differently for different gloves. I really like the shorty style, especially on the track where standard length levers would have broken in a get-off. And they look better too. I have the smooth lever on the clutch side and the finger-grip shaped levers on the brake. Just me. I'm just sayin' it's a good lever and a good price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts