Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
My R6 eats me
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been contemplating getting a new fender eliminator. I wanted the kind that goes directly under where the battery sits, which puts the tag in front of the rear tire. I have found no clear answer other then this person says its illegal and this other guy says it isn't blah blah blah. I have been searching night and day to find FL law regarding license placement (just because I didn't want to be bothered by the blue shirts). Well I finally found it :nocontrol

316.605 Licensing of vehicles.—
1(1) Every vehicle, at all times while driven, stopped, or parked upon any highways, roads, or streets of this state, shall be licensed in the name of the owner thereof in accordance with the laws of this state unless such vehicle is not required by the laws of this state to be licensed in this state and shall, except as otherwise provided in s. 320.0706 for front-end registration license plates on truck tractors and s. 320.086(5) which exempts display of license plates on described former military vehicles, display the license plate or both of the license plates assigned to it by the state, one on the rear and, if two, the other on the front of the vehicle, each to be securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle not higher than 60 inches and not lower than 12 inches from the ground and no more than 24 inches to the left or right of the centerline of the vehicle, and in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates regarding the word “Florida,” the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front. Except as provided in s. 316.2085(3), vehicle license plates shall be affixed and displayed in such a manner that the letters and numerals shall be read from left to right parallel to the ground. No vehicle license plate may be displayed in an inverted or reversed position or in such a manner that the letters and numbers and their proper sequence are not readily identifiable. Nothing shall be placed upon the face of a Florida plate except as permitted by law or by rule or regulation of a governmental agency. No license plates other than those furnished by the state shall be used. However, if the vehicle is not required to be licensed in this state, the license plates on such vehicle issued by another state, by a territory, possession, or district of the United States, or by a foreign country, substantially complying with the provisions hereof, shall be considered as complying with this chapter. A violation of this subsection is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

316.2085 Riding on motorcycles or mopeds.—
(3) The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and remain clearly visible from the rear at all times. Any deliberate act to conceal or obscure the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle is prohibited. The license tag of a motorcycle or moped may be affixed horizontally to the ground so that the numbers and letters read from left to right. Alternatively, a license tag for a motorcycle or moped for which the numbers and letters read from top to bottom may be affixed perpendicularly to the ground. Notwithstanding the authorization to affix the license tag of a motorcycle or moped perpendicularly to the ground, the owner or operator of a motorcycle or moped shall pay any required toll pursuant to s. 316.1001 by whatever means available.

and by reading it I have to say that it sounds pretty legal to me as long as it's not obstructed. I wanted to help anyone else who was trying to figure this dilemma out

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
Sure....if your rear tire and hugger are invisible.

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,620 Posts
My friend went for about a year and a half with his tucked in like that before getting pulled. I warned him when he got the bike to move it closer to the tail light. Some cops don't waste their time with trivial crap like that, but then there are those hard azzez that get off on writing as many tickets as they possibly can who will get you every single time. Your choice to take the chance or not, it's only money.

·
My R6 eats me
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$1000 fine for the tag being farther up on the tail. Sounds like a bit of overkill

And I was just about to click purchase on a tag holder for that placement. I must rethink this I suppose

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
My friend went for about a year and a half with his tucked in like that before getting pulled. I warned him when he got the bike to move it closer to the tail light. Some cops don't waste their time with trivial crap like that, but then there are those hard azzez that get off on writing as many tickets as they possibly can who will get you every single time. Your choice to take the chance or not, it's only money.
This. Honestly, if I were to be pulled over, there are probably a few things on my bike that the officer could write up. Fortunately, in the state I live, now, there are far fewer regulations....ie. turn signals aren't implicitly required. But if a cop were t write up a violation, I couldn't argue about it. I have weighed my choices and accepted the risk. A lot has to do with your attitude, the cops mood, or what you were doing when he pulled you over.....or all of the above.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Some of those are worse than others, but I have never seen one tucked under there that I would consider clearly legible from 100ft away. That's what it boils down to if you get hassled for it.

·
12,482 Posts
Basically, it MIGHT cause you some hassle. It's not 100% clearly visible at all times in that location.

But that's the risk we ALL take when we modify our vehicles. I've got driving lights inside my truck's grill and the 3000K highlights on my bike. Both illegal, but I've only been stopped for having my truck grill lights on. NEVER have I been stopped for my HID lights on the bike *knock on wood*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts