Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know legally you are supposed to have a light on your licenseplate, but I have a fender eliminator with no light on my plate. I prefer it that way. I dont really like to make it any easier for the cops to see who I am. :mrgreen: I dont plan on changing it unless I get a fix-it ticket. THe cops can't tell you dont have a light since they have that nasty bright light on your reflective plate. Just my two cents.

Rubber side down!

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
ya just leave it till a cop says somethin. or if you have to get a safety inspection like we do here in texas, and if they say somethin then fix it. :cheers

·
Bacon is extra!
494 Posts
I hooked up one of those 3" ricer neon lights from autozone. It worked pretty good.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Krom can you post pics of your setup?

I know you are suppose to have a light, but do they really bother you about it? I mean technically with the car behind the bike, its very visable. Now if it was tucked under the tail then thats understand able.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
After my first fender eliminator broke off, made my own and wired in little blue LED. the one i made mounted on the other side of the mounts and I tucked the LED up inside the undertail and it shined through the wiring hole. Was not that bright, but was legal.

I then won a pivot kit from the forum contests and that sucker will light up a city block.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I should be getting my kit in this week.. I am prolly gonna go with the little LED strip from autozone if I get pulled over and get a fix-it ticket

·
Registered
97 Posts
R6AJ, did you get your fender eliminator from McCoy Motorsports? Looks like the one that I got but haven't installed yet. I was wondering about the license plate light too. Bought the fender eliminator for like 70 bucks including the turn signals and the bracket that came in the mail was pretty cheap looking for that much money.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have no light but our Motor Vehicle Act says that we need one. Never got bothered last year. Of course, this year I have the plate mounted on the battery box... :poke

·
Registered
289 Posts
i bought these lights that screwed into the liecense plate holder holes, and they shine down on the plate. works pretty well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm in the process of finishing up my home-depot eliminator.

I used the Simpson Strong-Tie bracket (found elsewhere on the site here) and mounted my tag just a little bit low (like 1/2") and Drilled 3 holes across the top. Wired in 3 small "flashlight" bulbs (smaller than 1/4" in diameter) from radioshack. I haven't got the lights in, but with just one held up in place last night it was pretty bright so I'm sure 3 will be plenty.

Just gonna black out the top and tip of the bulb so only the lower side of it shows through. I'll post pics when I'm done

·
Bacon is extra!
494 Posts
I've given up on posting pics. Here are the links to the pictures of the plate light.

http://lopan.modemgnome.com/j/plate.jpg
http://lopan.modemgnome.com/j/plate3.jpg

I took some scrap metal and drilled a couple of holes in it and so I could mount it between the undertail and the plate bracket. I drilled a couple of really tiny holes for the zipties to go through. Then I crimped some barrel connectors onto the wires so it would connect with the stock wiring and still quick disconnect. I painted the top black and polished and clearcoated the underside of the bracket so that light would reflect off of it.

I got really bored one rainy weekend, that's when the danger starts. :flame

·
Registered
318 Posts
i was gonna ask you how you did that... I saw those pics on another thread and liked the idea. Im gonna have to try that once mine comes in.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Beantown said:
i bought these lights that screwed into the liecense plate holder holes, and they shine down on the plate. works pretty well.
Beantown, Where did you get the lights?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts