Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Batman wants my bike...
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Need some advice on which lid to buy. I am looking for something to start off on that'll last me a couple years. Want something flat black. My price range is $100-$150.

This is what I have been looking at so far:

1. http://www.kneedraggers.com/details...Helmet_Solid_Rubatone_Flat_Black--632509.html
Its $188

2. http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/HJC_CL15_FullFace_Helmet_Solid_Black--601800.html
$130

Anyhow, what do you all recommend?

Thanks.

ps. the title should be "advice" not "avdice"....err

·
Atom Smasher
860 Posts
Here is my "avdice" jk

Don't buy a helmet on a budget. I am not saying that either of the lids are crap but I think you need to buy the helmet that fits you the best.

I have only ever had Shoei lids and I swear by them, they fit my head perfectly, alot of guys don't like them and find Arai or HJC etc fit them best. If the helmet is too large it is far less effective at keeping you alive, if it's too small it can hurt and be distracting and make riding a less pleasurable experience.

Go to a bike shop and try on several different brands, find the manufacturer and size thats right then go online bargain hunting, just don't go super cheapo and buy a brand you have never heard of before.

Remember your lid is the one piece of equipment that can be the difference between riding again or having to take the short bus to school.

But having said all of that, I would probably go with the HJC if I had to choose between the 2.

·
No more side boob for you
1,136 Posts
What burton said.

I had the HJC FS-10 Fossile that was a great helmet and fit just right. Went down with that one and did its job. only thing about that i didnt like was the retractable sun visor was spring loaded and the spring wore out. not a big deal at all. $210ish.

I now have the Scorpion EXO-1000. I have nothing bad to say about this helmet all. i love this thing so much. the features are awesome. Pump up cheek pads for better fit. internal retractable light smoke sun visor with the flick of a thumb. and the ventilation is phenomenal. and other things. picked this up for $320.

point is, the only thing that matters is does it fit and does it fit right and how well will it hold up during a wicked a** crash.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here is my "avdice" jk
...Go to a bike shop and try on several different brands, find the manufacturer and size thats right then go online bargain hunting...
Best piece of advice you'll get! There has to be a bike shop somewhere near your house. A helmet is one thing you need to make sure fits right the first time. Gloves will stretch. Some jackets will as well. But your helmet needs to be comfortable the second you put it on.
I personally have a Scorpion EXO-400, and it's a lot more comfortable than the HJC I had. But again, try before you buy. If you get a helmet that doesn't feel right, that feeling won't go away, and your out over $100.

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
You will find out fast that not all helmets are the same. Fitting is a must. It sounds funny but your ears play a big roll in which helmet fits you. Try on as many as you can, use the visor, use the vents, see how you like it. You don't want something that is not functional while riding and it hurts after wearing if for some time. Then find a deal on it. When the time comes you will see when you try on a more expensive helmet you get more benefits from it, but I can understand the $ situation. T

·
Batman wants my bike...
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
736 Posts
Dont skinp on a lid. You will want a new one after a season if you do. I had an HJC I got for 180 and after a year it was loose, loud and annoying. I bought a new ICON for 250 and absolutly love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.