Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knwo they have the stands, but I'd like to get the bike up AND take th pressure off the shocks (i.e. not pick the bike up by the swingarm and forks)..., any suggestions? Do they make a (relatively) cheap, sturdy stand that raises the bike from the frame somehow??

Have an 04 R6...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well, I just put some jack stands underneath my rearsets to keep the rear off the ground, and used my front stem stand.

With that set up, I can remove everything on the bike... and have.

If you don't have fixed pegs, then you can get a metal bar that is a small enough diameter to fit through the swing-arm pivot, and put that on the jack stands.

Some other people use ratcheting tie downs attached to the bike and then suspend it from the ceiling joists in their garages... but I don't really trust that to hold while I am wrenching on the bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
RockyR6 said:
Well, I just put some jack stands underneath my rearsets to keep the rear off the ground, and used my front stem stand.

With that set up, I can remove everything on the bike... and have.

If you don't have fixed pegs, then you can get a metal bar that is a small enough diameter to fit through the swing-arm pivot, and put that on the jack stands.

Some other people use ratcheting tie downs attached to the bike and then suspend it from the ceiling joists in their garages... but I don't really trust that to hold while I am wrenching on the bike.
I'm curious, it wasn't too much weight on the rearsets by putting jack stands under them?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact weight distribution, but the entire 400 lbs of the bike is not resting on the rearsets, some of it is resting on the front stand. Even if 75% of the weight was on the rearsets, that is only 300 lbs of static weight.

Probably no worse than the force a 250 lb rider would put on them when riding aggressively. And I have seen some pretty fat fucks riding sportbikes, so I don't doubt the rearsets could support a lot more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you lift your car all the way off the ground too. There is no point to releaseing pressure off the shocks. They are ment to have pressure on them. It wont hert them to have pressure one the shocks.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
RockyR6 said:
I'm not sure of the exact weight distribution, but the entire 400 lbs of the bike is not resting on the rearsets, some of it is resting on the front stand. Even if 75% of the weight was on the rearsets, that is only 300 lbs of static weight.

Probably no worse than the force a 250 lb rider would put on them when riding aggressively. And I have seen some pretty fat fucks riding sportbikes, so I don't doubt the rearsets could support a lot more.
hahahahaha! you're on fire lately bro! must be getting close to racing season!

ya, the swingarm pivot hole is a good location for the rear and the headstock stand if perfect for the front. Trust Rocky as he just swapped out front and rear suspension for the upcoming race sesason.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hunter said:
Do you lift your car all the way off the ground too. There is no point to releaseing pressure off the shocks. They are ment to have pressure on them. It wont hert them to have pressure one the shocks.
But it kinda helps when you have to remove the shock to rebuild it a few times a year. :idea:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just get a couple guys and throw it in a van real quick, make sure no one is lookin or youll be in ... errr didnt read the reply til now :mrgreen: nothing more to contribute :hammer

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RockyR6 said:
But it kinda helps when you have to remove the shock to rebuild it a few times a year. :idea:
:stupic ..., thank you RR6. And I don't work on cars at all, but I'm pretty sure the same applies.

I was just wondering if something had been fabricated that may have a couple slim plates that would lift the frame of the bike, maybe like a "U" where the header is in the middle of the "U"..., but I'm sure stability would be a designing challenge to say the least. Thank for the input.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
rocky good idea's on the jack stands.

how long have you left your bike up on the triple tree stand? I always wonder if it will hurt the stand..

·
Registered
836 Posts
I leave it on the stand constantly. At the races I have my tire warmers on if I'm not on the track... so it has to be on the stands. And my bike has no side stand, so it has to at least be on the rear stand... and I usually just leave the front stand up as well.

Part of the reason I sprung for the Pit Bulls instead of saving some money on some of the less expensive options.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a bike lift. It's hydraullic (sp?) and goes under the center of the bike from the side and has a strap that goes over the tank. The only thing that really sucks is I have to take my lower plastics off to lift the bike. I think it's made for cruisers and sv's. Once the bike is up, oil changes and taking the tires off is a snap.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I saw a video once (i have it saved somewhere) of an R6 being built from scratch.... its called R6 Rebirth.. The 2 dudes who rebuild the bike use some sorta crane thing on the frame/etc to hold the bike up ... Looked pretty sweet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts