Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Resident Troll
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going?

I'm looking for a solution for hauling a bike using a vehicle thats not typically used for towing. I have a nissan sentra and a nissan rogue. Both are I4s and don't have an abundance of torque. What are my options for hauling a bike a few hours to hit the track?

Thanks

·
Resident Troll
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get one of them fold up joints, im thinking about getting one if i ever put this damnhitch on my car.
They have some uber lightweight aluminium ones out there too, but theye pricey.
cheaper is better for me. TDs are already expensive enough.

Do either of you have any links to good options?

Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
You can pick up a used flatbed 4x8 for next to nothing. I was given one that just needed a little tlc and some new wheels. Ive put about 6000mi on it without a single issue. Bike, gear and trailer weighs about 1000lbs.

·
Resident Troll
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, you can find used trailers on CL for fairly cheap. So if you have the space you can search for a deal.

My main reason for the HF is I could fold it in the garage.
Yeah thats a pretty big concern for me, but I was curious as to whether my cars or cars like mine are able to tow a bike... I'll look for your build thread

thanks

·
Resident Troll
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen 4cyl 2.0 jettas towing my trailer, I think saltman tows with a civic.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear! I was worried I was going to have to find a beater pickup... which was going to make TDs even MORE expensive... whew!

And these trailers are much cheaper than I thought... Awesome!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Head to your choice of auto part stores, they have a list of what cars have a hitch made for them and what weight you will top out at.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,809 Posts
Hows it going?

I'm looking for a solution for hauling a bike using a vehicle thats not typically used for towing. I have a nissan sentra and a nissan rogue. Both are I4s and don't have an abundance of torque. What are my options for hauling a bike a few hours to hit the track?

Thanks
5x8 or 5x10. But dont get a ramp gate.
Have towed 2 bikes on a 5x10 with a toyota camry with no issues.
Keep in mind that youll probably be at the max weight (1200lbs) but on the highway its not an issue unless your climbing 8% grades.
The ramp gate is like a big sail and will kill your gas mileage.
If your climbing steep hills... put an auxillary cooler on the trans.

·
Registered
380 Posts
the biggest thing you have to worry about is tongue weight on the trailer, you can pull 2 bikes with a small trailer using most small cars, but you have to go easy on the tongue weight as you dont damage anything. like my car the max tongue weight is 200lbs, so you have to load the trailer right so as not to exceed that.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wait for the 4x8 trailer to go on sale at HF and look for a 20% off coupon in a motorcycle magazine. I can remember which magazine it is, I think maybe sport rider. When I checked I thought I could get it for right around $250.

·
Last resort medic
40 Posts
Modified HF trailer user and abuser here.

key to them is adding spacers too tighten up some play in moving parts, adding bracing in the front corners and replacing the bearings/grease with high speeds ones.

current one is nearing 6K miles.

fully loaded weight (2bikes + gear) is ~1100lbs w/ 175lbs of tongue weight. I average 25-26mpg with a civic sedan.

This setup can be towed behind the following cars (w/ at least 1 bike loaded)
-mini cooper S
-VW jetta
-WRX
-audi S4
-toyota corolla

Q

1 - 20 of 46 Posts